Chapter 50. Revelations

Astrid soothed Everly in bed, the journey by floo upsetting her in her drowsy, sleepy state. Stroking the toddler's hair, Everly eventually drifted into a slumber. Astrid sighed, kissing her beautiful daughter on the head and made her way downstairs to Snape and Madam Pomfrey.

            Severus was sat at his desk, as usual, reading various letters. Madam Pomfrey stood with her hands clasped together by the door. Both of them were in silence. Severus looked up briefly as Astrid descended the stairs, she'd changed out of her mint green hospital gown, opting for a pair of baby blue silk pyjamas instead.

            "Madam Pomfrey, thank you for waiting," Astrid sighed as she approached the woman. Poppy Pomfrey frowned at the girl.

            "I hear you've been getting yourself into more trouble... dying is incredibly stupid Astrid, it can be rather permanent... you got lucky." The woman sighed, pulling a stethoscope from her apron. Astrid unbuttoned a couple of buttons on her silk night shirt, and held the fabric open for poppy to press the cold stethoscope to her skin. Madam Pomfrey listened carefully.

            "Well, it's beating, that's a good start." Pomfrey sighed. "You got lucky Astrid, next time, you might not be, I know it's hopeless telling you this... but take it easy."

            "I will Madam Pomfrey," Astrid nodded.

            "You know, this is the second Christmas in a row I've had to come to this office to sort you out, it's a good job I didn't have plans, next Christmas I want no cursed injuries, no dying, do you understand me?" Madam Pomfrey scolded. Astrid nodded in agreement, stifling a yawn.

            "Here, this is to bring back some of your strength, dying can really take it out of you..." Madam Pomfrey pulled a glass vial from her pocket, before delving back in and pulling out a small glass jar. "And here, another Bitterroot balm."

            "Thank you," Astrid took the prescriptions from the matron with a soft smile.

            "Now, get some rest, you look like hell." Madam Pomfrey sighed, turning and taking her leave. She eyed Snape over her shoulder with a narrowed gaze before leaving the headmasters office.

            Astrid passed Severus and padded up the stairs without a word to him. She took her potion, downing it like a shot, it tasted like one-hundred-year-old liquorish. She pulled a face and discarded of the vial. With a sigh she applied some Bitterroot balm to her chest, the light tingling sensation on her skin reminded her of simpler times. Then she crawled into bed next to Everly, who was in a deep slumber in the middle of the bed. Astrid laid on her side and admired her daughter, she had grown so much. Her blonde straight hair now reaching her shoulders, her cheeks were full and oh so pinchable, her legs long and strong. Astrid had missed out on so much; she made a silent promise to her daughter that she wouldn't miss out on anything else.

            The sight of Snape pushing through the jacquard drapes caught Astrid's attention out of the corner of her eye. He watched her out of the corner of his eye as he made his way to the armoire, opening it and pulling out some black night robes. He dressed behind the vintage screen and made his way to the side of the bed.

            "Am I still welcome, or should I sleep in my office?" He asked monotonously. Astrid sighed, pondering for a second, they were both fully dressed, and Everly was a boundary between them so she hesitantly nodded her head for permission. Severus slid under the covers, pulling them up to his chest he laid his arms on top. Staring at the ceiling he knew he couldn't sleep, not with so much on his chest. He wondered if Astrid was in the same boat, glancing across at her, he saw her watching Everly adoringly.