Chapter 15. Vigilant

Early morning, a pink sky rose above the castle, cascading warm light across the hospital wing. Astrid was curled up in her bed, knees pulled up tight to her chest, the blankets had been pulled back over her head, revealing only some blonde hair poking out above the covers.

"Professor Moody?" Madam Pomfrey whispered, unsure if the girl was awake or asleep. She had regained consciousness not long after everyone had left, but had immediately wanted to go straight back to sleep. She told the matron that she was in too much pain to be awake, and would prefer to sleep it off.

"Astrid?" Madam Pomfrey whispered, crouching low next to the ball shaped figure. Astrid peaked one eye open and pulled down the covers just a smidge, revealing her pale, sallow face.

"Do you know where you are?" Madam Pomfrey asked, Astrid nodded slowly, her eyes heavy.

"Do you remember how you came to be here?"

Astrid remembered, everything. She remembered dancing with Severus, overhearing Lucius and his conversation. She remembered the encounter with Lucius in the corridor, she remembered every word he said to her. She remembered going to the girl's bathroom, and the twisted face of Draco Malfoy, his wand aimed directly at her.

Astrid shook her head 'no', and pulled the covers back over her face, hiding away a tear that slipped down her cheek.

"I need to change your bandages, may I?" Madam Pomfrey asked, pulling back the blankets, Astrid pawed at the tear that rolled down her ashen skin and nodded her head yes hesitantly.

Madam Pomfrey saw to the girl's head, exchanging the bloodied bandages that wrapped around her noggin, for fresh new white ones.

"Do you want to talk about what happened, about your injuries?" Madam Pomfrey asked. There was something she saw in the girls' eyes that made her want to back off and give her some peace, her expressionless face was somewhat haunting, and the look in her eye made something stab at the matron's heart. Astrid shook her head no at the question.

"I just need to give your heart a listen,"

Madam Pomfrey pulled out a handy muggle tool, a stethoscope, and listened to the girl's elevated heartbeat.

"Rest, I'll be back to check on you later, if you need anything just ring this bell," Madam Pomfrey frowned, placing a small brass bell on the bedside cabinet. Astrid didn't respond, instead buried her head back beneath the covers, hugging her body to herself.

______________

"She is not ready for visitors Severus," Madam Pomfrey's voice was firm, and strong enough to wake Astrid from her slumber. What time was it? It was dark outside; the entire day had passed.

"Ready or not, I need to speak with the girl, it is a matter of urgency Madam... there could be an attacker wandering the castle this second," Severus said snootily, pushing passed the matron. Self-assured footsteps led to the foot of Astrids bed, she could sense his eyes staring into her.

"Miss Moody." Severus addressed the curled-up form under the blanket. He got no response. "Miss Moody." He said again, this time with a streak of impatience. Astrid let out a small sigh and pulled down the blanket just enough to reveal her reddened eyes. Severus rounded the bed, coming to her side he clasped his hands in front and gazed down at the girl.

"I must know what happened Miss Moody," Severus was straight to the point. Astrid let out a small sigh and turned over showing her back to him, holding in a groan as her body rocked with pain.

"Astrid, I understand you are in no state to conversate, but I must know what happened," Severus pressed. After a long silence Astrid heard the shuffling of fabric as Severus dropped to one knee, crouching close behind her ear.