XI

Wilbur scowled as he walked past the cars parked at the police station. He hadn't been there in days, and judging from the many angry texts he had received from the chief, he needed to get in there soon.

As he walked, he stared at the ground, thinking of everything and nothing. He pulled the door to the police station shut ad he walked in. To his surprise, he was not torn to shreds by the angry chief as soon as he walked in the door. He glanced around before walking to his office like nothing was out of the ordinary.

"Soot!"

Shit, Wilbur thought, there's goes the aspect of secrecy. The chief was suddenly beside him, anger spilling from her eyes.

"Yes?" Wilbur asked, plastering a small smirk on himself.

"Where the hell have you been?" The chief asked curtly. "You still have a paper due and it seems you've been keeping it hidden."

Her voice was taut an full of mocking cockiness. Wilbur inwardly groaned.

"I'm working on it," he said, turning to walk towards his office. The chief followed behind. "If fact, I have a paper in my office that has quite a bit of evidence."

"Oh really?" The chief said, walking into Wilbur's office as he held the door. "Where is it, then?"

Wilbur smiled gravely at that before digging around in the drawers of his desk for a moment. He pulled out a small stack of papers that had been stapled together.

In all honesty, the quote unquote "evidence" was a lackluster attempt from Wilbur to pull together things that seamed useful, but were absolute bullshit  when inspected closer. Wilbur hoped the chief would just take it as his word.

The chief took the papers, reading over them as Wilbur sat down at his desk. "Well, there certainly are a lot of leads here."

Wilbur nodded.

"I trust that you will be fine to investigate them?" The chief said, a mocking tone to her voice. "After all, it would be a shame for some secrets to get out."

Wilbur smirked, "well, I'm sure I don't know what you mean."

The chief huffed, tossing the papers back onto the desk. "I want a copy of this on my desk at the end of the day."

"Of course," was all Wilbur said before the chief left the room, closing the door behind her.

Once she did, Wilbur propped his elbows onto the desk, burying his face on his hands. He muttered a quiet "oh fuck this," under his breath.

The day seemed to fly by without anything happening. Wilbur could have swore the day didn't happen at all, nor the walk home. Soon, he was sitting on his bed with little to no memory of how he got there.

He lifted his phone, checking the time and date. He had a little more than a week until the ball in Kinoko Kingdom, and still no outfit. He checked the date again, feeling the stress climb up the back of his neck. He checks the date and time again.

He sighed uncontrollably, shifting as he sat. Eventually, he just laid on his back. His fingers seemed to move without his direction, and they found their way to Phil's contact. He hesitated before pressing the call button.

"Wilbur! How's everything?"

Wilbur took a shaky breath. He opened his mouth, but nothing came out.

"Will? Are you okay?" Phil said, his voice tinny.

"Yeah, yeah," Wilbur forced out. "Tired, but I'm fine."

"Will, you don't sound fine," Phil said. "What's going on?"