XV

Wilbur hadn't slept. He stayed up, his mind racing. He had always loved the air that came with the mornings, but he found himself dreading the rising sun.

Still dark, he put a folded up piece of paper onto his desk. He didn't have the energy to read it, at least not now, without other people to help him carry the burden of whatever words were written.

So there Wilbur sat, in complete darkness, on his bed. He knew he wouldn't be able to get back to sleep, so he would just wait for the sun to rise.

When it finally did, Wilbur found himself to be numb. It was as if he was watching a movie as he got ready seemingly relying on muscle memory. Soon he was dressed and ready to leave, but it was at least two hours before he would have to.

"Will, are you okay?" Tommy asked. Wilbur's head snapped up from where he had been staring a his drink. "You've been sitting there like that for like five minutes now."

"Don't you have places to be?" Wilbur asked. His voice sounded normal, but to him it felt robotic; prerecorded.

"Nope," Tommy said. "Don't you?"

Wilbur groaned, putting his head down to the table he sat at. "Don't remind me."

"Tough day already?"

"Yeah."

Tommy hummed in response. A few minutes passed as Wilbur sipped his drink and Tommy nibbled on his breakfast.

"Tommy, are you okay?" Wilbur asked rather suddenly. "After last night and all the shit that happened."

Tommy took a deep breath, setting down his fork. "I think so."

"Talk to me or Tech if you need to, okay?" Wilbur said. Tommy nodded, looking back down at his food.

Wilbur checked the time on his phone. "Shit, I need to be at the police station like now."

"Fine, just run away from this conversation," Tommy said jokingly and Wilbur scurried around to gather his thing. He grabbed his coat from his room, glancing at the folded paper on his desk for a second before grabbing it and stuffing it into his pocket.

"I'm not running, I'm late," Wilbur said.

"Right, we'll don't break of twist anything ax you run," Tommy said. Wilbur rolled his eyes before walking out the door, just barely hearing Tommy's loud shout of goodbyes as he closed it.

...

The police station was colder somehow.