XVIII

Tw: sickness, mention of snake venom
...

The last time Wilbur had sat outside, enjoying the sunrise and early morning air, was when Phil had forced him to take a break from paperwork. Wilbur smiled to himself, the memory bittersweet as the cool air brushed against his skin.

He'd forgotten how calming it was.

He laid back in the chair he sat in, counting clouds to keep his mind occupied. One-hundred forty-two and counting.

"Wilbur," a stuffy and whiny voice said behind him. Wilbur turned to see Tommy, his eyes puffy and red. "I don't feel good. My head hurts a shit ton."

Wilbur sighed, sitting up further. "Go lay down then."

There was a moment of silence before the hushed response.

"Don't wanna be alone."

Wilbur fell silent. He looked at the boy, who's small frame was wrapped in a thick blanket. His eyes and nose were red, but the rest of his face was flushed pale. He sniffled.

"Alright," Wilbur said, standing up. Tommy leaned into him when he walked over. "Yuck, don't get your germs all over me."

Tommy chuckled. "You'll be fine."

Wilbur shook his head, placing a hand on Tommy's forehead. "Toms, you're burning up."

Tommy hummed.

"Come on, let's get you some rest and medicine," Wilbur said. He walked with Tommy to his room, waiting for the boy to lay down before going to the medicine cabinet. Grabbing a dark tinted bottle, he made his way back to Tommy's room.

"Here," he said, handing the bottle to Tommy. He sat up as Wilbur grabbed a nearby chair, measuring out the correct amount of the ivory syrup before downing it in one go.

"Thanks Will," Tommy said, laying back down. Wilbur hummed, fishing his phone from his pocket. "What are you doing?"

"Texting Techno," Wilbur said. "Why?"

"Oh," Tommy said, sounding a bit disappointed. He shifted, pulling the blanket tighter around him. "Can you call dad?"

Wilbur smiled, bittersweet. "Of course."

"Thanks," Tommy said softly. "I miss him s'all."

"I do too," Wilbur said quietly. The phone rang in that tone he hated, invading his ears for a few moments before it stopped with a click.

"Hello?" A voice came from the other side. "Wilbur! How are you, mate?"

"Doing good," Wilbur said, keeping his voice cheery. "Tommy wanted to talk to you. We've all missed you."

"Oh! Is he there?" Phil asked. Wilbur silently passed the phone to Tommy.

"Dadza!" Tommy said happily, his voice still stuffy and hoarse. "I miss you."

Phil laughed. "I miss you too, Toms."

"Do you think," Tommy said slowly. "That you could maybe come a visit?"

Wilbur could practically hear Phil's smile through the phone as he happily agreed.  "Of course! I'll talk with Kristen and we'll schedule something."