XXII "Oh Shit"

Tw: kinda panic attack, stabbing, knives, blood
...

Tommy's grip was like a vice on the back of Wilbur's shirt as his hands shook with the hug. His face was tilted down, hidden from Wilbur's gaze. Wilbur lightly circled a hand over the boy's back. The air in the kitchen felt too thick to breathe.

"Tommy-"

"Will, you can't go," Tommy said, his voice shaken and broken by tears. "Please- please, you have no fucking clue what you're walking into!"

Tommy stepped back, trembling as tears fell from his eyes. He stumbled for a moment before catching himself on the table beside him. "You got a letter from a fucking murderer and you're going to meet them! Alone! You have to see how idiotic that is!"

"Tommy, I have to go," Wilbur said. "I'll be fine. If I'm ever going to solve this case-"

"Fuck the case!" Tommy spat. "You're going blind into meeting someone who has killed!"

"I'll be careful," Wilbur said, trying to keep his voice calm and doubts away.

"I don't want you to be careful, I want you alive," Tommy said, his face wet with tears.

Wilbur pulled him into a hug.

"Please don't go."

"I have to," Wilbur said. "This could be my only chance to catch this- this bitch."

Tommy laughed grimly, pushing back again, Fear and anger and worry and concern and-

His eyes were too clouded with emotions, each overlapping. The bright blue was dull. He closed them tightly, as if it would will away the tears. "Will you please just listen to me! Geor- he- this is a murderer. A serial killer at this point! It's obviously a trap! It's basic fucking common sense!"

Wilbur sighed. "Toms, I know it's a trap. That's exactly why I have to go. I'll just have to outthink them."

Tommy stayed silent, staring at the ground.

"What if they kill you?" He asked, looking up. Tears threatened to spill over the bottom of his eyelid. "What if I never see you again? What if it goes wrong?"

"The whole of Las Nevadas knows where I'll be," Wilbur said, not yet deciding if he was right about it. "I'll be fine, I promise."

Tommy rubbed his face with his hand, his eyes turning irritated and red. He looked to his side. "I hope you can keep that promise."

"I'll be fine," Wilbur said. "I'll bring like a knife or something, just in case."

"Thanks, Will," Tommy said. His voice was numb, almost hollow.

Defeated.

"Here, let's get Techno to stay with you," Wilbur said, already pulling his phone out. Tommy nodded slowly. With a simple text, Techno was on his way.

"Thanks, Will," Tommy said. He turned and sat down on the chair next to the table, looking down as his hands fidgeted in his lap. 

Wilbur ruffled Tommy's hair. "I'll be careful, promise. Now I'm going to go steal a knife from Techno's collection."

Tommy laughed.

Wilbur smiled, finally feeling able to walk away. He made his way to Techno's room.

His mind insisted on replays of that conversation. Perhaps one small slip would come to tear Wilbur's world apart.

Was there something more to it? Some kind of ulterior motive? Wilbur couldn't push the though from his mind, and dammit if he didn't try.

As Wilbur stared at the open drawer, filled with knives laid out neatly, in front of him, he realized three things.