XVII

Tw: injections, death, hospitals
...

Wilbur had a love-hate relationship with the rain. On one hand, he would often be lulled to sleep by the deep rumbling of far off thunder. On the other, he hated the feeling of going outside during or after a storm; the way the water clung to his skin unnerved him.

An umbrella would have solved that, but alas, Wilbur never actually got one.

As he looked out the window, he shuffled his feet. He checked the time over and over again.

"Why the fuck are you so antsy?" Tommy's voice rang out from across the room. "You got a date?"

"No," Wilbur said quickly, rolling his eyes. "I have to meet with Quackity today to review files."

The money missing from his wallet proved another part of the plan, but Tommy didn't need to know about that part.

"Boring," Tommy said, turning back to the laptop in front of him.

"It's about the chief's death, I believe," Wilbur said. He sighed.

"Oh," Tommy said. He looked at Wilbur, leaning back in his chair. "I, look, I'm sorry I wasn't at the funeral."

"Tommy, I know how much you hate them," Wilbur said with a laugh. "It's fine."

"It's just, I know you two were close and all-"

"We weren't."

Tommy opened his mouth, but said nothing.

Wilbur looked to his feet for a moment before looking out the window again.

"Sorry," Tommy said quietly.

Wilbur sighed, walking over to where Tommy sat at the table. He sat down next to Tommy, glancing at he game he was playing.

"You did nothing wrong," Wilbur said. He inched his chair closer to Tommy. "Whatcha playing?"

"Well I'm building walls around my kingdom so Tubbo of Ranboo don't blow it up," Tommy said, moving around in the game to show off black and yellow walls. "It took me forever to rebuild after that shit stunt they pulled."

Wilbur hummed. "Ranboo blew up your base?"

"Well, no," Tommy said. "But he's associated with Tubbo, and that son of a bitch nuked my place."

"Ah," Wilbur said simply.

"And then, and then," Tommy said quickly, taking his hands away from the keyboard for a moment. "He filled my entire fucking place with bees. Bees!"

Wilbur chuckled. "That sounds like Tubbo."

Tommy let out a sharp laugh. He pulled away from the laptop, leaning over to Wilbur and giving him a side hug. Their positions were awkward, but Wilbur returned the gesture.

"Didn't you have somewhere to go?" Tommy asked, pulling his attention back to the laptop. He gestured to the window vaguely. "It's stopped raining."

Wilbur glanced at the window before jumping up. "Shit, I gotta go."

Tommy laughed loudly as Wilbur rushed to get his coat and shoes on.

"Alright," Wilbur said quickly, half of his body already out the door. "Stay out of trouble!"

"No promises!" Tommy called out, just in time to be heard before the door closed.

The still damp air flooded Wilbur's senses. He paused for a split second to breathe in the air and scent of fresh rain. Sticking his hands in the pockets of his coat, he began to walk towards the porcelain buildings that sharply cut off the forest at the border. The path he walked on was packed from the rain, remaining droplets of water falling onto him anytime he passed under the overhang of a tree.