XXVI

Tw: brief mentions of dissociation, needles, and
...

As it turned out, walking hurt like a fucking bitch.

Apparently, being stabbed in the back is not fun to move around with. Being deemed not in critical condition, he was finally allowed to stand and walk a short ways. Not that Wilbur would ever want to, I'm his condition. Still, it was a sign of healing.

He turned at the sound of an opening door, a nurse walking in.

The clock ticked. Wilbur frowned.

"Alright," the nurse said, setting down a clipboard. "We're taking you to get an MRI today."

Wilbur nodded. "Why?"

"Just to check up on how you're healing," the nurse said. "Alright, so we're going to wheel you in, and then transfer to the MRI."

"Sounds good," Wilbur said, laying back. The nurse nodded and unlocked the wheels of the bed, it shaking as they did so. "I never got your name, did I?"

"Really?" The nurse said, starting to move the hospital bed. "It's Eret."

"Well, Eret," Wilbur said, squinting his eyes from the light as he passed through the doorway. Another nurse waited in the hallway, moving to maneuver the front of the bed. "Thank you."

Eret just smiled.

The MRI room was a bit darker than the hallway. Wilbur sat up in he bed, wincing as he slowly moved to hang his feet over the edge. The machines in the room made a low whirring noise that echoed in Wilbur's mind.

"This is contrast dye," Eret said, holding a syringe in front of them. "It helps to distinguish different tissues."

Wilbur stared at the sheathed needle held in front of him. Well, he really didn't have a choice, did he? He nodded, closing his eyes and holding his breath as Eret moved to give him the injection. They pulled away, capping the needle. Wilbur let out his breath, focusing on it for a minute.

"Let's get you into the bed now," Eret said, not moving as they only watched Wilbur.

"Oh, oh, yeah," Wilbur said. He winced as he lowered himself to the floor. Eret offered an arm, which Wilbur gladly took. He was lifted into the bed, closing his eyes tightly as he laid down.

"And just to confirm," Eret said. "You don't have any metal on you? No watches, piercings, pacemakers, anything like that?"

"None," Wilbur said. Eret nodded, handing him a pair of headphones. Wilbur took them, albeit a bit confused.

"It gets loud in there," Eret said. "Would you like to listen to any music?"

"Uh, just some indie rock, I guess," Wilbur said, putting them on but pressing one behind his ear. "I just lay there?"

"Just lay as still as possible."

Wilbur nodded. He could do that.

With that, Eret gave him a thumbs up, pressing a button on the large machine. It whirred as Wilbur was pushed feet first into the tube. With a final "all good?" Eret left the room as Wilbur pulled the headphones complexity over his ears. After a moment, a quiet static cut off to a voice.

"Can you hear me, Wilbur?" Eret's voice was grainy, but still recognizable.

"Uh, yeah," Wilbur said, feeling as if he was talking to nobody.

"Ready?"

Wilbur huffed. "As I'll ever be."

The low thumping of the MRI was muffled by whatever song played through the grainy speakers of the headphones. Wilbur tried his best to tune them both out, closing his eyes and focusing on his breathing.