XXXI

Tw: slight panic attacks, blood,

...

The forest stood silently outside the window. Wilbur stared back at it from where he leaned against the wall. Quackity stood a few paces from him.

"They're not expecting us to go right now," Wilbur said, still looking at the window. "The longer we wait around, the longer they have to set up their trap."

"No," Quackity said, his voice laced with worry. "You're still recovering from being fucking stabbed."

Wilbur hit his head against the wall twice, huffing. "And if we don't go now, we're playing into their game."

Quackity sighed, grabbing Wilbur's hand and pulling him away from the wall. "And if we go, we're still playing into their fucking game. Tommy is still here. We can't just leave him."

Wilbur bounced on his heels, crossing his arms as he looked out the window. He bit the inside of his cheek.

Quackity held his wrist gently, looking up at him. "You're thinking too loud."

Wilbur sighed. "I'm going whether you're coming with me or not."

Quackity pursed his lips, thumb running over the bones in Wilbur's wrist. "And Tommy?"

Wilbur glanced at the door to his room where Tommy slept. He felt stuck, as if he was tied to two posts with no slack in the ropes. "Phil and Kristen will be back soon. He'll be fine. I- I'm going."

"Fine," Quackity said. Wilbur looked at him.

"What?"

"Just, promise me you won't- fuck, I don't know." Quackity stuttered, his grip falling only to tighten on Wilbur's hand. "Don't do anything stupid."

Wilbur was silent for a moment. Why hadn't they killed him? Why hadn't they killed Techno? Wilbur's throat was dry.  He looked out the window again.

"Wil?"

"Why am I alive?" Wilbur asked, voice shaking. "Why is Tech alive? Why are you alive? Why haven't these bastards fucking killed us already?"

"Hey," Quackity said softly. "You're shaking."

Wilbur nodded, words getting stuck in his throat. He ran his thumb along Quackity's knuckles. "I need to go out there. I can outsmart them. I did it once in a fucking alleyway."

Maybe he was just saying that to convince himself.

"You're not exactly in the best place to be making these decisions," Quackity said. "Why don't we wait until the morning, at least?"

Wilbur looked out the window again, his stomach twisting. "Fuck, I- I need to sit down."

Quackity nodded, walking beside Wilbur until they sat down next to each other. The wood of the table was rough under Wilbur's forearms, and yet he relished in the texture. His fingers felt numb.

Wilbur closed his eyes, willing himself to breathe evenly. His entire body felt numb, now. His heart quickened. "Quackity-"

"Breathe," Quackity said, taking Wilbur's hand in his own. With soft fingers, he traced the lines on his palm. Wilbur let his breathing slow as he got lost in the feeling.

"Something," Wilbur said slowly. "Something in my gut is telling me I need to go out there."

Quackity sighed, his now still fingers resting on the creases on Wilbur's hand. "I'm going with you."