XXXIII

Tw: slight panic attack
...

Despite everything, the bright lights of Las Nevadas were somehow comforting. Wilbur fell back on childhood ideas of the dark, though how untrue they may be. Still, the though lingered. How many times had eyes watched him when he was alone? How many times had he narrowly escaped death, just because the situation wasn't perfect?

The Space Needle was the tallest building in Las Nevadas. And there Wilbur sat, looking out from the balcony at the very top. Quackity's penthouse was the obvious choice, what with the height of it and all. There no way George or Dream could get up there.

Right?

Wilbur pushed the thought away, instead looking towards the white buildings that reflected all the neon signs that shined in the night. The party never truly stopped there. When one nightclub closed, another opened. Wilbur sat back in his chair, just watching the spotlights of the casino as they danced on the clouds. It was a nice distraction for when Wilbur didn't want to think about everything.

He did not stir when the door slid open, the sound somehow both smooth and rough at the same time.

"Hey," Quackity said. Wilbur nodded his acknowledgment as he pulled a chair close to his and sat down. He looked out over the city, following Wilbur's gaze. Wilbur turned to look at Quackity, watching the way the light cast shadows on his face.

"Is Tommy still asleep?" Wilbur asked. Quackity nodded, his hair bathed in the faint neon blue light that blinked at the top of the Needle.

"You liking the view?"

Wilbur nodded, looking back out at the city. He chuckled lightly, smiling cheekily. "I feel like you're overcompensating for something. You know, with how big your penthouse has to be."

Quackity snorted. "You're a dick. That's not- I- fuck you." He blushed the more he talked.

Wilbur pouted, hoping to look as innocent as possible. His voice was low and saccharine. "It's just that you're short, birdie." He laughed. "Damn, you need Jesus."

"Jesus can suck my dick," Quackity said, rolling his eyes. Wilbur wrinkled his nose.

"What, the one you're overcompensating for?" Wilbur figured he deserved the sharp elbow to his side.

"You're insufferable," Quackity said. "And birdie? Where the fuck did that come from?"

"I- Its just a-" Wilbur shut his mouth, deciding not to let any other unsaid words become said. He shrugged before he turned back to the skyline.

Quackity huffed. "Fine."

Wilbur's phone buzzed in his back pocket. He ignored it.

"Are you doing okay?" Quackity asked, his voice having gone soft. Wilbur nodded quickly.

"I don't want to think about everything," Wilbur said. "At least not right now."

Quackity nodded, and Wilbur didn't speak.

He stared down at a new light that had appeared in the city. One club closes, another one opens. It was an endless cycle.

"You should check out more of Las Nevadas one day," Quackity said. He sat up to lean closer to the glass wall on the balcony, pointing to one specific nightclub. Neon blue blinking lights lined the roof. It was bright enough without even looking a the sign. "I've worked at that one before. It's pretty nice."