XIII

Tw: mention of panic attack
...

It wasn't an anomaly for Wilbur to wake up to Techno, still barely awake, telling him someone is asking to see him. It came free with being a leader. Techno would wake him, grumble and complain about how early it was, and then promptly go back to sleep once Wilbur had the situation under control.

However, the people who asked for him were usually not from Las Nevadas.

"Foolish?" Wilbur asked. His hair was still definitely a mess and he most definitely looked exhausted. "The hell are you doing here?"

Foolish looked at the man before him, looking almost unimpressed. "Did you get any sleep last night?"

"You didn't answer my question."

"Fine," Foolish said. "Q needs to talk to you. Something about a note you two found. He didn't tell me anything more."

"Ah," Wilbur said, more awake now. "Very well then. Should I go now, or do I need to schedule a meeting?"

Foolish glared at him. "Now works just fine. Follow me."

"I'm sure I know my way by now," Wilbur said, grabbing his coat from the rack beside the door and pulling it on before he pushed past Foolish. He was silently glad he still had the note in the pocket of his coat. It saved him a trip to wherever else he would have put it.

"Just a formality," Foolish said, though it fell on uncaring ears.

They walked through the early morning in silence for a while before Foolish spoke.

"Are you not going to like, at least fix your hair or something? You look like shit, man."

"No, I'm not," Wilbur said. "Quackity has the gall to drag me over there this early, he can deal with what I look like. He sure as fuck isn't inviting me over for a fancy dinner."

Foolish shrunk back, falling back a few paces. "When was the last time you slept?"

"Last night."

"And when did you actually go to sleep last night?" Foolish asked, speeding up so he was beside Wilbur.

Wilbur didn't answer. Instead, he asked a question of his own. "Why are you so concerned about me? What did Quackity put you up to fish out of me?"

"Nothing, nothing," Foolish insisted. "Q has just... taken an interest to you. He doesn't talk about it, but he's not good at hiding it."

"An interest?" Wilbur said, shoving his hands in his pockets.

"You intrigue him, Wilbur. I don't know what it is, but there's something," Foolish said.

"Of course I intrigue him," Wilbur said. "I'm the boss of the god damn Syndicate, and he's of the Las Nevadas Mafia. Of course he's trying to keep tabs on me."

Foolish pursed his lips. "Maybe," he said, still sounding unconvinced. "Whatever it is, he's been concerned over your well-being these last few days."

Wilbur could have sworn his blood froze for a moment, though nothing on the outside showed it.

"I'm sure it's that," Wilbur said, not providing anything else for the rest of the walk. They didn't speak as they passed through the familiar hallways and staircases. Charlie nodded to them, waving Wilbur up the stairs as Foolish stayed behind.

With the door closed behind him, Wilbur called out," What was so important that you had to wake me at fuck off in the morning?"

Quackity looked at him, his gaze lingering for a few seconds before he took a sharp inhale. "And hello to you too, Wilbur. Please, sit down."