No Mercy

When they were kids and their mom took them to get flu shots, Larry always went first and then left the room because he hated seeing the doctor prod and poke at his twin before piercing him with a needle.

When Laurent got sick, Larry often moved to another room for the duration of his twin's misery, not because he was afraid to catch it himself, but because seeing Laurent bed-riddled with a fever made him feel more miserable than the flu itself ever could.

The fact that Laurent had trouble with his knee, was a topic that had caused many severe fights between them. Not because it kept them from taking on new jobs or from going all out on stage, but because Laurent often hurt himself so badly that he couldn't even walk the next day without Larry's help and Larry absolutely hated to see him in agony.

And then Laurent went and tore his ligament at the World of Dance Snapchat battle.

During the biggest dance competition they've ever participated in.

In front of cameras.

The second it happened and Laurent didn't get back up, Larry was propelled forward, an age-old fear stirring deep in his chest. One look from Laurent and Larry's worst nightmare was confirmed. Whatever just happened was serious. 

Laurent looked at him with apologetic eyes and Larry instantly knew that the show was over.

"Can you get up?" he knew the answer to his question even before Laurent shook his head.

His brother's chin was dipped low, allowing his braids to fall into his face, and already, Larry had a hard time dealing with this. With seeing his other half like this. 

Already his heart was aching and his hands were shaking where they hovered helplessly over Laurent's injured ankle. Laurent had his knee pulled to his chest, keeping the pressure of the limb and even so, the pain was still strong enough to bleed through their connection. Larry could feel the numb persistent tingle of discomfort in his own leg, the disassociation there, almost as if it was him on the ground and not his brother.

The doctor came and Larry reluctantly offered up his spot next to Laurent to give it to the guy with the medical knowledge and supplies. The second he moved, he felt Laurent's pleading gaze on his skin, but even so Larry stepped back. He gave his brother a look full of reassurance ‚I'm right here,' and started gnawing on the flesh around his thumbnail as a means to soothe himself while they went to work.

Whenever Laurent grimaced or hissed in pain, Larry took an involuntary step forward, only to remind himself of the cameras and the people surrounding them. And the fact that the guy currently putting his brother through hell had a medical degree and a license to do so.

Ne-Yo who must have watched him from the sideline, grabbed his shoulder and squeezed it, leaning in to whisper in his ear. "You might wanna give your manager a call. Tell her to wait for you at the hospital, get the insurance issues out of the way. Do some damage control..."

It took Larry a full second to even catch up with the words, but then his brain started racing. Ne-Yo was right, they needed to inform Eleni, probably make a few calls, too. Call off the show, get out oft he contract somehow. Make sure Lau would get a private room at the hospital, that there would be no press to take pictures of him. They'd have to tell their family. The crew. Maybe get a physiotherapist. The list just kept on going.

Larry still hesitated, unwilling to leave his injured brother in the hand of strangers.

"C'mon, go," Ne-Yo said. "He'll be alright for five minutes."

Larry sighed and trudged to the vacated far end of the studio, the phone already halfway to his ear and ringing, even as he glanced back over his shoulder to where Laurent and the doctor were on the floor. It took him about five minutes to tell her what happened and calm her back down after her initial freak-out and then another three minutes to give her a list of things to do like call their insurance company, get a private doc and hospital sorted, get a bag with a set of clothes and toothbrushes there.