Appendicitis

Something was off with Laurent.

Larry could feel it.

It was in the way his brother held himself and in the way he talked. It was in the way he danced during the workshop, keeping his moves too simple and not even paying attention to the beat.

Laurent didn't give it his everything and while Larry was happy that he didn't have to stop Laurent from going too hard and hurting himself in the process, he was also concerned about his twin's out-of-character behavior.

By the end of the night, the pain that Laurent had felt during the workshop had become intense enough to have him curled up on his hotel bed.

Larry looked at his brother in concern as he took in the clamminess of his brother's skin, the pallor of his face.

"Maybe we should call Eleni. See if there's any hospitals close--"

"No," Laurent groaned. "No hospitals."

"But--"

"Please," Laurent added, looking at his brother with big, soulful eyes.

Under normal circumstances Larry would never refuse his twin brother anything when he looked at him like that, but this time Larry didn't just see his brother's pleading eyes. He also saw the cold sweat pearling on Laurent's forehead and the way his lips were twisted in badly-disguised agony.

His brother was suffering.

And that wasn't something Larry could ignore.

"I'm gonna call an ambulance," Larry said, ignoring his brother's weak mutter of protest.

He dug his phone out of his jeans pockets, wasting no time to call 911 and explain their situation to the dispatcher. It was merely ten minutes later that a group of paramedics came charging into their hotel bedroom, spearheaded by a doctor who quickly checked Laurent over.

By now, Laurent was almost delirious with pain, he had his knees pulled up to his chest.

"For how long has he been like this?"

"He mentioned a stomach ache this morning, but it got worse throughout the day."

Larry took a step forward but was immediately stopped by one of the paramedics, who pressed a hand against his chest. "We're going to need you to step aside, sir."

Larry's protective instinct flared at that. Nobody got to tell him to get away from his twin when he was hurt like this. "Sir, we really need you to--"

Before the guy could finish his sentence, someone entered the hotel room with a stretcher.

"Move him carefully," the doctor instructed and before Larry could do or say anything to stop them, they had pulled back the sheets, causing Laurent to shiver helplessly against the mattress.

Two of them took hold of Laurent's arms, draping them around their necks and then they were straightening themselves and pulling Laurent up with them.

The next thing Larry knew, was chaos.

For as long as he lived, he'd never forget the sound of Laurent's cry when they lifted him. He'd never heard or seen his brother in so much pain before and it was scarier than anything he'd ever witnessed. Laurent's scream was garbled and raw and pleading for mercy and his face was just...

"Get away from him!" Larry jumped forward, but one of the paramedics quickly wrapped his arms around him from behind, while they proceeded to lower Laurent onto the stretcher. "What are you doing? You're hurting him. Please, stop!"