Advice

The first time Rubix had ever stepped into the Bourgeois' house had felt like coming home.

The house had smelled of Calalou and fish stew and Mama B. had welcomed him with just as much warmth as the twins had when they'd first met him. He had instantly felt safe in their worn-down home with the mix-and-match furniture and the Caribbean music blasting from the radio and with so many people coming and going, turning the Bourgeois living room into one oft he most sociable places in all of Sarcelles.

Being the youngest in a household of ten, they didn't have much to begin with, and yet Rubix was always offered to help himself around the kitchen or stay overnight whenever his dad came home drunk and looking for trouble. They were selfless and real in a hood that was full of egoism and Rubix found comfort in that. In their good intentions, their purity.

Like many others, Rubix had been enticed by the brothers' unique style, their musicality, their indifference to what was considered normal. Everything about them was fascinating and screamed of a confidence few people on earth possessed and Rubix was drawn to that. He also found himself fascinated by how close they were with each other. 

The first fight he ever witnessed between them caught him off guard. It wasn't one of their usual quarrels but a full-blown argument. From what Rubix gathered, Laurent had made eyes at a girl Larry liked, but it was difficult to decipher with the way they shouted and growled at each other and tangled their hands in each other's clothes, getting into each other's faces. 

Rubix tried to step between them, tried to block the murderous looks they fixated each other with. "Guys, stop it. Please—"

"Step back!" Larry snapped at him and before Rubix could do or say anything else, Laurent had pushed him out of the way without a glance in his direction.

Later, Mama B. had pulled Rubix into the kitchen. She'd shoved a pot with boiled potatoes at him and ordered him to start peeling and Rubix had dutifully gone to work, thankful to be out of the brothers' hair while they worked out their issues.

"Don't step between them," Mama B. had eventually broken the silence. "It's not a good idea."

"But—"

Mama B. shook her head firmly. "It's between them."

He swallowed. "Okay."

OoOoO

Larry got jealous sometimes.

It was one of his most difficult traits.

He was a lot of fun to hang out with, but he could be a bit of an asshole where Laurent was concerned, wanting to keep his twin all to himself and brooding whenever Laurent spent time with anyone but him.

Unlike many others, Rubix had noticed Larry's possessiveness quite early on and made a mental note not to get too physical with Laurent whenever his twin brother was present. But given the fact that Laurent didn't know how to keep his hands to himself, he was bound to get himself into trouble at one point.

It eventually happened a few years down the line, when they were participating in a battle.

The boys had a bit of tension going on between them and there was a noticable distance that everyone in the crew was acutely aware of. They didn't touch each other or talk to each other at all, and since Laurent had known Rubix the longest and probably trusted him most from their crew, he'd stuck a bit closer to him during their latest dance battle, hyping him up and high-fiving him and slinging arms around his neck. 

After they won, Laurent grabbed him by the back of his head before pressing a quick kiss to his temple and Rubix could practically feel Larry's narrow-eyed gaze on him from across the room.