The moonlight will reveal the truth

Jay Paris p.o.v

We decided to go to a special place. A place that no one knows about. The place where I can be able to let go and be free. A place to cry and rest my head. A place to let out my anger. A place to get rid of my fears. Most of all, the number one place I ran to the night of running away from my father. The place behind the woods.

~

"Where are we going?", Nakita asked constantly looking up in the trees and on the ground for bugs or snakes as I tugged on her arm.

"You'll see when we get there quit being so scared. There ain't no snakes and there ain't a lot of bugs. What'chu think this trail is for?"

"Well shit you tell me. You apparently know these woods like the back of your fucking hand."

"Exactly so trust me."

"Ugh, are we here now? Where this old torn up bench is?"

"Yeah."

I went over to the bench and sat down. Nakita dragged behind me looking at the bench as if it were shit on it. I quickly grabbed her arm and pulled onto the bench.

"You act like you never sat on a wooden bench before. I'm gonna need you to calm down and just relax."

"I'm gonna need you to start picking better places to get away. When you said you had a special place you went when you were younger to let go of things I thought you meant the park or maybe even a candy store."

I just rolled my eyes.

"What did you bring me here for anyway?", she asked.

"To just give a little background information about how my life is and where I live."

"Oh, I got the idea when I saw the name of your street name."

"Shut up."

"Whatever. Hey do you remember the conversation we had last night?"

"Yeah."

''What do you mean he's not your step brother? Are you both still related?"

"Yes, closely related."

"Biologically?"

"..Yes."

"Oh my goodness. Wait I'm confused. How?"

"It's very shocking. Only I know the truth."

She looked deep into my eyes with full concern. "Tell me."

"My dad only married one woman. I just don't look like him. What Steven doesn't know is that we are biologically related. A long time ago way before neither of us was born, my dad married a woman. I don't know her name and I don't know her at all. I was told she died right after Steven was born. It torn him apart. So, weeks later my dad became depressed. He began to drink and hang out at late at night bars. He began to sleep with a lot of women to satisfy his needs. Then when he finally lost his job he realized that he couldn't take care of us. He found our mothers. My current mama he had found first. It was a one night stand type of situation. My mama was at the bar as well being single ready to mingle. Then after that night they decided they wanted to date. They dated for about 2 years but they day after that night at the bar my dad visited and told her about me and mama confessed she had a son. My mama never knew about Steven because my dad kept him at his moms house and he never knew about Fox. He was already 3 years older than me so he was only a toddler when I came around, I don't think he remembers much because his language wasn't perfect yet... and he's just a simple dumbass."

Nakita laughed and nudged me playfully.

"Anyways, my dad was in a tight jail cage you know? He didn't have the heart to tell my mama what his case was. He hated to bring up all the past and how his wife died. So mama would have me live there at her place because dad couldn't keep up with the big house that him and mom used to live in and he couldn't bare to look at all the memories that house cherished within every wall and couch he sat on. So he went job hunting. Did I tell you he was smart? My goodness, my mama said he was so smart he probably remembered everything he had ever been taught. He finally got a job and made tremendously good money, by that time my mama suggested marriage. My dad was scared, everything was going good for him and he had nothing to worry about he spent more time with us two boys at different houses for a while and he didn't want to add another child in mama's house when she didn't have much and he couldn't marry again. So he had to tell her no which led to an argument at 3am. My dad woke me up around that time and told me we were going away, that we were moving somewhere far away. I grabbed me out of the bed packed a few things of mine and took me into the living room. My mama blocked the door drenched in sweat and tears panting heavily. She said 'Please don't leave me'. He told her to get out of the way. I asked dad where were we going, he didn't answer. He tugged my arm once more and we headed for the back door, I was scared and I began to cry. My mama screamed my dads name, 'Steven! Steven, please!' My dad opened the door and began to head out. My dad told 'I can't stay here! I can't marry you I'm sorry me and my son have to leave!' Mama told him 'Please don't leave me!' I just watched as mama cried and daddy fussing back at her eager to get away then he pulled on my arm once more but I snatched back from his setting myself free then I ran behind mama grabbing onto her pants tightly and I yelled 'No! I don't wanna leave I wanna stay with mama!' My daddy looked angrily at me and a tear fell from his eyes. He stared at me and said 'Well if you ya mama's boy then you can't be MY SON!' He looked at mama and finally said 'Have him. Take care of him, otherwise your dead like the last one.' Then he stormed out and I never saw him again. That night I never knew what that meant or what happened between them to until mama told me at the age of 10. By then I was old enough to claim myself as a man."

Nakita looked at me as if she wanted to cry. "Oh my goodness. That's tragic, I couldn't believe he could just give a child up like that."

"That's...", I shook my head and looked down at my feet, "...my dad."

"Do you know how he was interfered in Steven's life? Or why Steven was so happy when your dad came back?"

"Steven is like...so blinded I never had the heart to tell him what happened to me but his life was fine as far as I'm concerned. Now my mama doesn't want anything to do with my dad. However, she does know about Steven and his parents and how they are."

"How?"

"Ask him detective. You wanted answers for Steven anyway, so you should get answers from him too."