Chapter 2: The Unspoken Hanging In-Between

Hello everyone! Welcome to chapter 2 of Freedom! I hope you all like the story so far. I'm really enjoying rewriting it! It is so fun to go back to the beginning with this story! Leave me a comment with your thoughts and if this is your first time reading this story or you're a returning reader! As always, I do not own avatar or its characters. Onto the story!

Katara lightly touched her fingertips to his scar, while the other hand clutched the vial around her neck. What if it didn't work? What if something went wrong? She had healed before, but this mark was years old, not a brand new cut or burn where the skin was still shiny and red.

The skin there was rough. It was lighter around the edges and his ear and darker near his eye. He was lucky he had some vision in his eye. Zuko could sense the hesitation in her frame, "If you've changed your mind, I won't be offended... This is a big ask..."

Katara shook her head, suddenly gathering her courage, "I want to..."

Katara bended the spirit water from the vial. There was clearly only enough for one use. She reached her hand towards his face.

Zuko felt the coolness hit his face. It was like someone just shoved half his face into a snow bank, or when he was walking through the snow storm in the North Pole. He winced slightly at the feeling. He wanted to pull away but he forced himself not to move. Katara noticed this and used her other hand to squeeze his arm, trying to reassure him.

Katara closed her eyes and focused, feeling his skin and nerves knitting back together. She watched beneath her eyelids as each cell if his skin regenerated. She watched as his nerves, long since dead began to breath new life and began to prickle as new skin formed. It started at her fingertips and moved towards her palm.

It was difficult work and it took every ounce of energy she had. She felt a drop of sweat run down her face, but she didn't move or lose her concentration. She thought if she moved then she would lose everything and the nerves would all die again and the skin would break apart into calloused scabs over his face.

When she felt the last piece of skin connect, his face felt hot beneath her hand. He tried not to yell out, as it felt like he was being burned all over again. But as quick as it began, it stopped.

Katara opened her eyes and gasped.

Zuko opened his eyes, only slightly taking in how close Katara was to him. "What? Did it work? Does it look bad?", he asked, slightly nervous at her reaction.

Katara let out a breath of relief. She couldn't help but laugh in delight, "See for yourself..." she gestured to the crystal reflecting back at him.

Zuko looked into the crystal and gasped himself. He almost didn't recognize himself. He looked like the young boy that was hopeful for the future and didn't realize how hard he would have to work in his life. He looked like he was 12 again, before he had received the gift from his father. He let his fingers graze the smooth skin. He felt like he jumped into a time machine and he was in a world completely different from the one he had been living in. It didn't feel real. It felt like any moment he would wake up from a dream and he would be in his bed in the Earth Kingdom.

He had to try hard not to pinch himself just to make sure.

"I'm free...", he smiled and turned to Katara, "I'm finally free!" he cried.

Katara smiled big at him. His reaction made it all worth it. She saw the tears well up in his eyes as he traced the new skin with his hand. Zuko went to her and hugged her tight, lifting her off the ground slightly. He barely managed out, "Thank you"

Her eyes grew wide with surprise as his arms around her. She never pegged Zuko as the affectionate type, even in a moment like this. She felt a blush creep up to her cheeks.