Chapter 10: The Amber Eyes and Kind Smile

Katara walked back to the meat stand, wringing in her hands nervously. She knew that she had to talk to everyone and convince them to save Zuko but she knew what that meant, and she knew how everyone would react.

Sokka would go all big brother on her. He would tell her how big of a risk that was and how they couldn't just go break into a high security prison just because she felt guilty. This was their lives that they needed to keep in order to end this war. This was way too risky even for someone, in his mind, worth saving.

Aang would be horrified that she would even suggest it. He would tell her she was insane for even suggesting such a thing and Zuko was still an enemy even though he saved them once. She would have to remind him about the time Zuko saved him as the Blue Spirit.

Maybe him saving them was a ploy to get Aang in his grasp. Maybe the whole world was supposed to think Zuko was in the prison, just for them to walk through the front doors right into a trap, all while Zuko is living the lap of luxury in the palace.

But she just knew that couldn't be true. She thought of his scar and how he confided in her where it came from. She remembered how Aang was his only way home. She remembered how he was about to give up all that to teach Aang firebending. She couldn't believe that it was all a ploy, that it was some evil game. She had to believe she meant something to him now.

Cause he meant something to her too.

Toph was her best bet to getting through to the boys, she knew that pretty well. Toph was all about diving in head first and Katara knew if she told her about their time in the cave and everything he told her, she would follow her lead. Toph never ran away from a fight, especially when it meant winning the war.

If she was naive then so be it, but Katara truly thought this meant winning the war. Aang would be at a huge disadvantage without firebending, and there wasn't a huge supply of fire benders running around willing to help them.

They could find Jeong Jeong but they had no idea where he ended up. They could find Iroh but he was probably at the same prison that Zuko was.

Zuko was and is their only chance at a firebending teacher for Aang. Katara had accepted that and was willing to take some risks to get to him. But she also knew she had to convince everyone else of that same thing.

The group sat at a table. Sokka was gnawing at some obscure meat leg with the ferocity of a man who hasn't eaten in days. Toph had a plate of meat different meat chunks in front of her and took each piece one by one and shoved them in her mouth.

Aang watched from across the table in disgust. He had a bowl of different fruits in front of him, some she recognized from the Earth Kingdom and some she assumed were Fire Nation.

Sokka looked up from his meat leg, already half devoured, and saw her approaching, "There you are! I wondered where you ran off to"

Katara came and sat down next to Aang, beginning to peel her melon, "Oh yes Sokka, you look just seething with worry" she spoke, her tone laced with sarcasm.

They sat and talked over their meals, keeping the conversation entirely simple. They couldn't risk talking about the invasion and the wrong person overhearing.

The group didn't linger long, making their way out of the town and back to Appa before they overstayed their visit.

As they started to making their way out of town, they heard a shout behind them.