Chapter 38: The Crimson Paint

A roar was heard from the crowd. Katara watched them through the veil of her straw hat with a small smile gracing her features. They clapped and cheered and hugged each other in excitement. They praised her and thanked her for saving them once again.

Zuko looked over at the girl next to him with a smile behind his mask. She had the power to save an entire village and give hope to an entire town, even from a nation that had wronged her over and over. He looked over at her with wonder; wondering if she was really his friend, or even real. How could someone so good and kind, be friends with him?

But little did he know, that Katara was looking at him, thinking the same thing. He risked everything to help her. He risked his identity, his name, and the trust of their friends to save a village that it wasn't his duty to save.

But that same identity was why they needed to run.

She knew they had to get out of there, that she had to keep the mystery alive. She doubted they would have the same praise if they knew who they were.

A Waterbender and the Prince.

She turned away from them, ready to disappear across the river and into the fog, taking the Blue Spirit with her.

But a hand grabbed a hold of her arm, pulling her back, "Thank you Painted Lady" he praised her, "We owe you a lot"

He opened his mouth to continue his praise but his eyes caught her blue ones beneath her veil. He furrowed his brow, "Wait a minute..." he spoke confused, pulling his hand away. But when he looked back at his hand, specks of crimson paint were splattered across his palm.

"You're not the Painted Lady!" He cried out, feeling betrayed, "You're that colonial girl!!"

Katara's face turned to one of shock, reaching up to touch her face and feeling the red paint slip off of her skin from sweat. She looked down at the red paint that stained her fingertips, the mark of a liar, a fraud.

A little boy stepped forward out of the crowd, "You're the lady who gave me food!!"

The village yelled and screamed at her.

"You've been tricking us!"

"She must be a Waterbender!!"

Katara looked out amongst the faces of the village that she tried to save and watched as they turned their back on her. Their hatred for those unlike them too great to overcome all of the good she had done.

"I'm sorry..." she whispered beneath her breath, "I was only trying to help..."

The faces of the villagers stayed hard and fierce, ready to start a full scale mob for the woman who stole their dear Painted Lady's identity, who tricked them all.

But amongst the crowd, stood the man and women, clutching their perfectly healthy baby boy, all because a Waterbender was able to clear his lungs. He was smiling up at them, not understanding the commotion around him.

They could have been planning a funeral instead.

The man and wife looked at each other, their faces conflicted, knowing the difference between what is right and what is easy but not knowing which path to take.