Chapter 8: The Harsh Black Rock

They walked around Crescent Island to find the place utterly abandoned. They looked for any sign of life, but it was clear the Fire Sages had long since relocated somewhere else. Half of the island was impenetrable by anyone except a fire bender with lava bending abilities. The once grand temple was now scattered pieces of driftwood, some that had long since been lost to the ocean.

The group stayed on the island for three nights when they discovered it to be abandoned. They didn't have to worry about being found by the Fire Navy out at sea, or by a lone passerby. They watched as the ships passed right by the island, too far away to see their blue, green, and yellow clothes against the harsh black rock.

Katara spent every night by the water, letting a stream dance between her fingertips as she watched the lights in the distance. Sometimes it was ships sailing by the island. But on the second night, the sky was so clear, she could see the Fire nation harbor.

It was strange being in Fire nation territory. She wondered if Zuko was close by. Was he in a prison or at the palace itself? Was he wondering where she was too?

She looked up at the moon and wondered if he could see it too wherever it was. It was comforting to know they were looking at the same one.

After the third night, they looked down at their measly supply of food. There was no life to the island except the lava itself so foraging was useless. They knew they would have to venture to the mainland.

They traveled under the cover of night and hide in caves during the day. Katara would forage for berries and Sokka would find a stream and spear some fish. But both were not very successful.

"We can't continue to hide in these caves" they all knew it. Katara was just the first one to say it. They couldn't maintain strength on the scraps they were eating.

"Katara is right. I'm starving." Toph agreed with her, leaning back on a rock and rubbing her stomach.

Sokka shook his head, "It's best if we stay hidden", he was trying his best to hold their cover. Every time they went out, they risked being exposed. This wasn't the Earth Kingdom where they were free to roam about. This was enemy territory and they all knew it.

Katara sighed, "Sokka, we don't need to become cave people" she told him, her sisterly annoyance in her tone, "What we need is some new clothes"

Aang shrugged, "She is right, blending is better then hiding out" he leaned back on a rock, "If we get Fire Nation disguises, we would be just as safe as we would be hiding in a cave"

Toph joined it, knowing how to get straight to Sokka's heart, "Plus they have real food out there..." she told him. Sokka sighed, thinking about eating some real meat.

"Fine" the thought of some food was too compelling, "Let's go get some real clothes" Sokka said, giving in.

The group moved to the closest town and found a farm on the outskirts. They stayed hidden, peaking over a rock at the clothes hanging on the clothesline. They each took turns running to the clothesline and picking a few items. It kinda felt like shopping to the young kids, without the spending money part.

Katara picked out a red one-shoulder shirt that showed her stomach and a pair of brownish colored pants with a red skirt on top. She left her hair down, in contrast to her normal braided style.

Aang watched her as she adjusted her skirt nervously. She looked stunning. His eyes felt glued to the prettiest girl he had ever seen. But his smile faded when his eyes rested on her blue water tribe necklace. "Your necklace..." he said, a little sad.