Chapter 39: The Cries of the Valley

Clouds passed by as Appa soared through the sky. They hung their heads from exhaustion, all except for one whose head was perked up and buried in a map.

The group had been flying all day and well into the night. Aang sat at Appa's head, his arms resting on his knees and holding Appa's reins in his hand. His eyes fluttered closed but he snapped them open.

Even Appa was starting to droop lower every so often, dipping down and back up again when Aang tugged on the reins. Sokka sat up, giving Aang directions and fiddling with the map. He traced their path, trying to figure out how much ground they had to make before resting. But the tired eyes from the group told different stories.

Katara leaned over and placed a gentle hand on her brother's shoulder, "Sokka... everyone is exhausted, we need to rest"

The boy looked up defiantly, "We just need to go a little bit longer" he told her, his voice breaking. Katara shook her head, knowing they couldn't go on for much longer, "Appa won't be any use if he falls from the exhaustion" she tried to joke, knowing sometimes it was the only way to get through to her brother.

Sokka let out a breath, looking back at his map then out into the sky, "Dad is waiting for us..." he whispered under his breath. Katara smiled, rubbing his shoulder gently, "I know... but he will be more angry if we skip sleeping to travel rather then just being a little late..."

When Sokka nodded, everyone breathed a sigh of relief, ready to climb into their sleeping bags and rest for the evening. Aang found a small clearing on a cliff side to land Appa. The entire group said a prayer when their feet touched solid ground, especially Toph, who relished in the feeling of being able to see once again.

They didn't waste anytime setting up camp. Toph immediately bending herself a earth hut, climbing inside and sealing it for the night. Katara and Aang laid out the rest of the sleeping bags one by one. Meanwhile, Sokka and Zuko started the fire. It was a warm evening in the fire nation but that didn't stop the chill air from sinking into their bones.

It didn't take long for each of them to fall into a restful sleep, the exhaustion finally taking over their bodies.

Katara watched as each of their breathing slowed before letting herself fall into the same dream filled sleep.

When her eyes opened, she saw the open blue sky above her. Birds chirped overhead as they flew by. She looked down at her body and saw her water tribe robes, bright blue wrapped across her torso.

"There you are... I was worried you would never wake up"

She turned to the voice, recognizing the sweet melody of Zuko's tone. She wore a smile, as she turned to look at him.

Zuko stood in front of her, dressed in full fire nation robes, draping down his body. On top of his head, the Fire Lord's crown sat confidently. He smirked down at her, "Like what you see?" He asked her, cockiness in his tone.

Katara smiled wider, "We did it... We defeated your father?" She asked him. Zuko smiled a wicked grin, holding out his hand for her to take, "Why yes my dear... we truly did it"

But as she stood up, she could see over the cliff side. Down below, the valley was filled with fire, trees bursting into flames and destroying all in its path. Katara ran to the edge, and as she got closer, she could hear the screams of the people who lived down below.