Part 21

Three weeks later.

On the day they decided to reconcile, they also agreed that it would be best for them to keep a friendly distance and live in their respective homes. They decided to take things slow. They were both aware that there were many things that needed to be sorted carefully and they couldn't jump back to where they once were just because they were back together. It was best to take one step at a time. Above all, they were happy to be together again.

It took them weeks to readjust themselves and re-evaluate everything in their reestablished relationship. They took those weeks seriously in order to resolve their differences without jeopardizing their relationship. With time, they managed to mend the cracks in their relationship and the couple's dynamic had gone back to the way it was. By week two, they were already back to their usual routines – talking on the phone for hours, FaceTiming, sending good morning and goodnight texts, and saying countless 'I love you's' whenever they felt like it. That four months temporary break made them realize how much they appreciated each other.

Demi got up early that morning. She promised Nick she would accompany him to his counseling appointment. It would be their first public outing together after a four-month breakup. She was excited to spend time with him, even if it was only to the therapist's office. She stood in front of the long mirror in her room, checking herself. She picked a gray top to wear underneath a black and white floral printed bomber jacket, skinny dark faded jeans, and black ankle boots with Ray-Ban sunglasses on her head. And a big smile plastered on her face.

When she arrived at Nick's house, she stood at the front door contemplating how to enter

When she arrived at Nick's house, she stood at the front door contemplating how to enter. It was the first time she had set foot in his house in four months. She still had the keys to his place and could just go in, but she wasn't sure if she could. She found it amusing that she was nervous about meeting him. It was as if she were on a blind date, meeting for the first time. Her heart was already racing in her chest at the thought of Nick appearing at the door. After much deliberation, she decided to knock.

He was making coffee in the kitchen when he heard the knock on the door, causing his brows to crease. He was certain that the person behind the door was Demi. Why did she knock? Did she lose her keys? He put the cup down and walked to the door. His heart thumped excitedly at the thought of the brunette.

Seconds later, the front door opened. When their gazes locked, they couldn't help but become hypnotized by each other's presence.

"Hi." He greeted. His eyes twinkled with joy.

"Hi." She returned his greeting. Her voice was clearly nervous. She beamed at the sight of him in a white tank top that draped perfectly on his strong frame, matched with brown jogger pants. He was still as hot as she remembered.

"Did you lose your keys?"

"No, I-I still have it." She fidgeted with the keys in her hand. "It's been awhile since I came to your house. I'm a little nervous, so I'm not sure if I should just walk in."