Part 8

When Demi slammed his bedroom door, Nick only managed to stand still and look at the plain door. He was confused and sad when he saw Demi walk out of that door. Why would he feel sad for someone he barely recognized? Why would he feel slightly upset with himself for what he just did to her? He couldn't explain the feeling he felt at that moment. He sighed loudly as he ran his hand over his face. The fact that Demi was hurt by what he just said to her makes him even more frustrated with his messed-up brain. "What have I done?" He spoke quietly.

A few minutes later, Denise barged into the room with a confused look on her face. She was panting like she was running. "Nick, I saw Demi running to her car, crying. What's going on? Were you guys fighting?"

Nick glanced at his mother and said nothing. He couldn't think of anything to say to her.He then sat down at the edge of the bed and let out a heavy sigh.

Noticing a glint of sadness in Nick's eyes, Denise was getting curious about what really happened between them that caused Demi to act in such a way. "Nick." She paced closer to her son and sat next to him, placing a hand on his back. "Can you please tell me what happened? She was all smiles when she got here."

"I-I....must've said something hurtful to her. I don't know..." His voice trailed off as he shook his head. He then leaned on his knees and buried his head in his hands.

"What did you say to her? She asked with her eyebrows knitted together.

He cleared his throat before he spoke. "Mom, you know how hard I try to remember about my past. And for the past few weeks, I couldn't remember anything about Demi. No matter how much I want to remember about her and no matter how much I try, I still get nothing. It seems like the memory of her has been completely erased from my brain. And because of that, I think it's better to let her go than let her be miserable with me if my memory doesn't come back. She deserves more than a guy who has no memory of her."

"Be miserable with you?" She looked at his son in disbelief. She couldn't wrap her mind around what he just said. "From what I know, she decided to fly to Hawaii to search for you despite knowing nothing of your whereabouts. She stayed by your side when you were in the hospital, not leaving even for a day because she wanted to be there when you opened your eyes. You have no idea how worried she was when you went missing and how heartbroken she was when you couldn't recognize her after you gained consciousness."

"That's exactly why I feel like I should let her go, Mom." He turned his body toward his mother. "I don't want to cause her more pain. She suffered enough with me."

"What makes you think that she suffered?"

He took the photo album off the bed and put it on his lap. "She brought this photo album and showed me the photos of us together, since we were teenagers until recently. In every photo, I can see her smiles and joy. Her eyes were shining with happiness, but I didn't see that when I looked into her eyes lately. I broke her heart, and I don't want to do it again. I'm not the same Nick she's dating. I'm not capable of making her happy."

"Nicholas, listen to me." She touched his forearm softly, making him look at her. "It's true that Demi has been through so much since your accident. When you lost your memory, she was torn apart beyond imagination. I saw it firsthand. She had many reasons to just leave you in the hospital and didn't have to bother coming to visit you, but she's here almost every week. There were times when she just wanted to give up on you, but she didn't. That's because she cares so much about you. And I believe if the situation were reversed, you would do the same to her. Be honest with me. Do you feel something for her?"

"I don't even understand my own feelings, Mom. But something inside of me wanted to know her, as if something about her drew me in. Why do I feel like this if I can't remember her?"