Part 27

"Do you ever think about getting married?" Demi blurted out the question.

The question was so random that Nick almost pressed the brake pedal when he heard it. What did she mean by it? Was she implying something?

The car jerked slightly, but Nick managed to keep it on the track. Demi sensed something was off and asked, "Are you okay?"

"Yea." He cleared his throat as he looked at her with a slight frown on his forehead. "W-what did you ask just now?"

She looked at him curiously. There was nervousness in his tone of voice. "I was asking if you ever thought of getting married."

The question was unexpected and made him nervous in some way. "Are you proposing to me?" He asked, raising an eyebrow in lighthearted manner. His tone was playful as he tried to hide the nervousness that came with the question. There had to be a reason why she asked the question so suddenly. Maybe something came to her mind. When he saw her chuckled and shaking her head, he inquired further. "Why are you asking about that so suddenly?"

"Just curious." She shrugged casually. Her face brightened with a cheerful smile. "I'm so happy with my life right now. My career is on the right track and I have you with me. It's a dream that I never thought would come true. So, I don't know... the thought just crossed my mind and I was wondering if you ever think of the same." She was actually trying to find a clearer view of the topic in case they ever decided to go down that road, although they had never discussed it before. Similar to having a child discussion, the subject of marriage had never come up during their relationship. It probably seemed odd that the conversation never took place given that they have been friends for a long time, have been dating for three years, and have just recently moved in together.

In the early years of their relationship, they were very cautious about not moving too fast, afraid that they might mess up what had just begun. So the discussion about marriage, children, and even moving in together was never on the list. Their relationship was later put to the test when he was involved in an accident and suffered amnesia and PTSD. They were also temporarily broke up, so the situation wasn't always right for them to discuss any of those things.

"You thought of getting married? To me?" He cocked his brow.

"I thought of marrying Noah Centineo." She replied mockingly while rolling her eyes.

He gasped dramatically, pretending to be hurt by the statement he had just heard. He knew she was joking. He gave her a sidelong glance but said nothing. He was aware that they never discussed their plans for the future, but he also remembered how difficult it had once been for them just to maintain their relationship. Through those hard times, he thought a lot about them and where their relationship would go. To be honest, he never really thought about marriage especially after all the unfortunate events that happened in his life. All he cared about was making his relationship with Demi as solid as possible, and that didn't necessarily mean they had to be legally bound. But, he never opposed to marriage.

She looked at him, noting how his demeanor had changed since she asked the question. He seemed like he was having intrusive thoughts in his head. She was aware of how random the question was, but it wasn't a mathematical equation kind of question that needed someone to think really hard before answering it. So his change of attitude was disquieting. She said, "You haven't answered my question yet. So, you never thought about it, I supposed." Her voice sounded a little dejected.

He could tell from how she sounded that her question was persuaded by more than just curiosity. He guessed it probably had something to do with how good their lives were right now. Demi's mind was always racing with wild and spontaneous ideas. That was the reason how she could write good songs. Though the question was unexpected, it wasn't entirely surprising. Marriage was an important topic to talk about, and he didn't want the conversation to be frivolous.