Part 6

A/N: 'You Are the Reason' by Calum Scott keeps playing in my head over and over and I'm overwhelmed with emotion. So I was thinking, why not writing a Nemi story. The lyrics somehow fit the chapter.

There goes my heart beating
'Cause you are the reason
I'm losing my sleep
Please come back now

There goes my mind racing
And you are the reason
That I'm still breathing
I'm hopeless now

I'd climb every mountain
And swim every ocean
Just to be with you
And fix what I've broken
Oh, 'cause I need you to see
That you are the reason

After Nick was taken to the operation room, a nurse informed Demi to wait in the waiting room on the same floor so that she could get the latest update on her boyfriend. The waiting room was all silent. Demi sat on a chair, leaned back, and hugged herself. Her eyes were puffy and red from crying. She would glance at the clock on the wall, checking the time almost every ten minutes. It was almost midnight.

A few minutes later, Marissa walked into the waiting room and rushed to her best friend once she saw her. She hugged Demi as she buried her face in the crook of Marissa's neck and let out a soft sob again. "What happened?"

"He couldn't breathe, and the doctor said he has a collapsed lung." She whimpered. "It's serious, Riss. I saw it with my own eyes, and I really don't know what to do. He may not survive." She explained in between sobs.

"Sshh..." Marissa softly rubbed Demi's back. "The doctors will do their very best to save him."

"I'm not sure anymore." Demi pulled away and leaned forward, burying her face in her hands.

"Demi," Marissa put her hand on Demi's shoulder. "You can't lose hope now."

"What if he's saying goodbye?"

"What do you mean?" Marissa asked as her eyebrows crinkled, completely confused with the question.

Demi wiped the tears with the back of her hand. "After you left, I was talking to Nick, and everything seems fine. Then I fell asleep, and I had a dream. I read a poem he wrote about me, and one of the lines said if that moment were his last breath, even beyond death, he'd love me. It was as if he were saying goodbye to me in my sleep. Then, when I opened my eyes, he was having trouble breathing."

Marissa sighed. "Demi, it was just a dream. It's got nothing to do with Nick's condition right now."

Demi shook her head and abruptly stood up. "What if he doesn't make it out of that room alive? He's standing on a very thin ice right now. That man..." She pointed to the hallway. "...the one I love so fucking much and there's nothing I can do to help him. I'm afraid I'm going to lose him for good." Fear was evident in her teary eyes as she spoke. "You're not in my shoes, so you won't probably understand." She snapped at Marissa. The tears fell like a waterfall as she paced back and forth in the room.

Marissa sighed heavily, surprised by the way Demi replied to her. "Did I hear you right?" She had enough of Demi's negativity, so she stood up and looked straight at her. "I may not be in your shoes, but I know how it feels to be so close to losing someone you love. I know it's hard to be positive right now, but you can at least stop thinking like that. I know you're scared of losing him. You have doubts and you're worried, but being so pessimistic will not help him, Demi. It's obviously not helping you either. So instead of blaming yourself for whatever you can't do, I suggest you get yourself together, keep praying, let the doctors do their job, and let God do His job." The tone of her voice was stern, but she wasn't angry. She knew sometimes Demi would think irrationally, especially when it came to Nick. So she felt a need to pull Demi back from straying too far with her negative thoughts. She sat down on the seat she had occupied earlier and leaned back on it.