008 ▸ BETH HARMON | Cold

ᗩ/ᑎ ᑭ

ᗩ/ᑎ ᑭ.O.ᐯ

Moscow was a hell of a town, and you instantly loved it as soon as your plane landed. You had grown up in a place without a lot of snow, and the little bits of wet fluff that drifted down made you gleeful.

"First time seeing snow, darling?" Beth asked, adjusting the wool cap that sat over her ginger hair.

"No," you shrugged. You rubbed your fingers together, smearing the snow across your fingertips, and you looked at Beth. She was always dressed so glamorously, and you loved the look of her.

Beth Harmon was so pretty-- you had thought that ever since you first met her two years ago at a chess tournament.

She had beaten you in a quick 45 minute match with a skill that made your eyes blur from confusion, but she had given you a tight-lipped smile and shook your hand, and you had fallen so hard.

You both were categorized as prodigies and chess masters, two of four women worldwide that held that title.

The Moscow Invitational had been a goal of yours ever since you found out that you could compete with chess, and you were thrilled when you found out that Beth would also be attending.

"C'mon, let's get to our room," Beth said. "It's too cold out here. Don't you think?"

Those brown doe eyes settled on you, and you nodded quickly.

You had been nervous about sharing a room with Beth for the days preceding, but you figured it couldn't be any different than that time the two of you lived together with Benny Watts. It would be similar, right? You didn't see why it would be any different.

As you walked into the room, you found the difference.

"One bed?" you mumbled, anxiety roiling in your stomach. Beth set down her luggage and began to delicately take off her gloves.

"Just don't hog the covers," she giggled with a wink.

You unpacked slowly, looking over your shoulder at Beth every so often. She had already pulled out her little wooden chess set and was going through the motions of a match, and you chewed your bottom lip.

Didn't she care about sharing a bed? Wasn't she nervous about it? "I'm going to take a bath," you announced, grabbing your pajamas and holding them to your chest. "Do you need to get in there first?"

Beth shook her head silently, waving her hand flippantly as she kept her focus on the game. She had a glass full of amber drink next to her, and you shrugged.