« 43 » DAPHANE BRIDGERTON | The right partner

ᗩ/ᑎ ᑭ

ᗩ/ᑎ ᑭ.O.ᐯ

"God, I hate dancing," you muttered. The polite smile plastered on your face vanished as your most recent suitor walked away.

Daphne chuckled beside you. You glared at her, which only seemed to brighten her smile.

This had been the first time you'd talked to her all night. She had been on the dance floor the whole time with several suitors. You were willing to bet the only reason she wasn't dancing now was because her card was full.

The season had become insufferable as you watched suitor after suitor pine over "Ms. Bridgerton".

You had been stuffing your feelings down since you'd known Daphne, but with the promise of marriage looming over both of you it was becoming hard to keep your emotions in check. You feared that you would burst if you didn't act on your, confusing, heart soon.

The truth was you weren't sure what you were feeling. All you knew was that Daphne made your heart flutter, and the men society constantly forced on you, didn't. Daphne had always made your heart flutter. Not even the handsome Bridgerton brothers could make your eyes stray from their sister.

It didn't matter though, you had to marry a man; you had to be his dotting wife, and you had to have his children. At least that's what the Ton said.

"I don't understand how you could hate dancing. It's fun." Daphne's soft voice pulled you out of your thoughts.

"Fun," you growled. "That man stepped on my foot like three times."

"Five actually." Daphne looked down in an attempt to hide her grin.

She looked impossibly beautiful today. A light blue dress flowed around her and her hair was in a tight updo, but a few stray chestnut strands had fallen and framed her face.

It accentuated her beautiful features even more. Her dimples seemed a little deeper, and her eyes were a little brighter. You could feel your breathing become irregular and you did your best to steady it.

"Where do you always go in that mind of yours? Thinking about all the men you can't wait to dance with." Daphne raised a teasing eyebrow.

Slowly, your eyes drifted back into focus. You nudged her playfully, and your skin sizzled at the contact.

"If your going to stand there finding amusement in my suffering at least hand me a drink." You nodded towards the waiter walking around with drinks.

The more you went to these balls, the more you started drinking when Daphne danced with suitors. Selfishly, you hated the way she looked happy in some of their arms.