« 35 » BILLY HARGROVE | How could you ?

ᗩ/ᑎ ᑭ

ᗩ/ᑎ ᑭ.O.ᐯ

The two of you stood in the almost pitch dark and stared at each other. You'd gone out with a torch to see what was rummaging about in the garden shed.

"El?" You said with uncertainty. "I'm hiding." She answered simply.

"Uhu. Let me call Steve." You said and motioned her inside. You gave her one of your old coats and made a sandwich while you phoned Steve. He swung by a few minutes later and stared at her.

"You're supposed to be missing." Steve said with his hands on his hips.

"I found a way to be unmissing." El said through a mouthful of sandwich.

"Well we need to get you home. There are people searching for you. Not Jim or Joyce by the way. They look armed." Steve said as he glanced at you.

"You know my dad had some stuff delivered for Jim but he got called away. If we hide El in one of the big boxes we could get them to Joyce's, maybe even Jim's if we don't get stopped?" You offered.

"Sounds like a plan. Would your dad let us take his work truck?" Steve asked quickly. You nodded and found the keys on the hook by the door and handed them to him.

"I have to make a call. I was supposed to go out." You explained.

Steve told you he'd get El hidden. You hurried to dial the number and waited for someone to pick up on the other end.

"Hello?" Billy said as he picked up.

"Hey Billy, it's me." You said and glanced at the door as Steve moved a few boxes into the house.

"Well hello sweetheart, you can't wait thirty minutes for me to pick you up. Did you miss me that much?" You could hear the smugness in his voice and felt a pang of guilt.

"I'm sorry Billy. Something came up." You said quickly. He was quiet for a minute before he cleared his throat, it sounded as if he was shuffling around.

"Seriously? You spent ages trying to get me to see this movie." Billy grumbled. He sounded more hurt than disappointed.

"A friend needs a hand and... I didn't know they'd need help tonight you know. I'm really sorry Billy. If you're free tomorrow night we could go to the movies then?" You said scrambling for an excuse but not wanting to confess that El had turned up at your house.

"Yeah, yeah sure. You need a hand?" He asked.

"No. We're good. Everything is sorted, we just need my dad's truck to run something across town." You said quickly, glad he didn't seem upset.