Chapter 31

Sam was sleeping on the couch, had been for the last 12 hours, to Nova it felt like he had been distant with her and of course she wasn't happy with him or the fact that he had lied to her that he was okay.
She looked at the time, 11am, but shrugged it off as she grabbed herself a beer. She opened it and took a swig as Dean walked in.

"Woah, look at you drinking before noon." He smirked, "You've been hanging around us too long."

She hopped up and sat down on the counter with a heavy sigh and a shrug. "Oh well, it's five o'clock somewhere." She then stared down at the beer bottle.

He walked over and leans against the counter next to her, "What's wrong?"

"Nothing. " She said with a shrug.

"Bullshit, you never drink before noon so something has got to be eating at you."

She sighed and looked into the living room at a sleeping Sam then at Dean, "Okay fine, it's just the fact he lied to both of us. He said he's fine but I don't think he truly is fine Dean. Something is going on up here." She tapped her temple.

"But if Sam says he's good, then he's good."

"And do you honestly believe that?"

"Yeah. " Dean stated but Nova just stared at him, "OK fine no I don't think he is because we can never catch a break." He shrugs, "So why would we this time?"

"I want to keep my head up and keep thinking he's going to be fine this time but it's hard. "

"Trust me, I know exactly what you mean." He said with a nod.

"Dean there's sometimes I don't think I can handle this. "

"What do you mean?" He stood up straighter.

"I mean the whole sticking around while he's losing his mind. You know how stressful it was for me to watch the love of my life passed out not once but twice and not knowing if he'll wake up." She looked at him with tears in her eyes.

"Hey hey none of that." He stepped in front of her and put his hands on her knees, "I know exactly how stressful it was. It was stressful on all of us but he pulled through both times. And right now he needs us both now more than ever."

"You, I can understand because you're his brother but me, I'm just some girl who can be replaced. And ever since these hallucinations have started, it seems he's been distant with me. " She looks down.

"Look. " He put his finger under her chin and made he look at him, "You are not replaceable. I know my brother, and he's not being distant on purpose. Something is happening in that big head of his, sure, but I know he loves you and would never hurt you on purpose. That's not the kind of guy he is. So please Nova, do not give up on him just yet."

"Why shouldn't I?"

"Because he needs us, you so much. Either one of us give up on him during this and it could make things so much worse on him."

"I guess you're right. " She sighs and finishes off the rest of her beer.

"I know I am. " He smirks then pats her legs, "So come on, let's go wake him up. Plus I need to check on that wound on his hand."

She hops off the counter and throws away the bottle, "Hey Dean? "

"Yeah?" He turns towards her.

"Thank you. " She gives him a hug. "I needed that pep talk."

He hugs her back, "You're welcome, that's what family is for. "

He kissed her forehead than they went into the living room.

"Sam! Sammy, baby, wakey wakey." She gently shook Sam then leaned down and kissed him as Dean joined her side.

Just then he took a breath as he woke up and scooted back as he sat up as if he was scared.

"Hey, whoa." Dean put his hand up almost in defense as Nova took a hit of air and stepped back. "That's 12 hours straight. I'm calling that well rested." Dean told him as Sam was looking around. He handed him a bottle of water, "Here, hydrate." Then hands him a protein bar, "And uh, protein-ate."

Sam took what Dean was handing them as Nova stepped forward and kissed him on the top of his head.

"Breakfast in bed. " Sam looked at the bar as Dean pulled up a chair next to the couch.

"Don't get used to it. Let me see that hand."

Sam looked off this distant with a confused expression and held his hand out to Dean who proceeded to take the bandage off it to check his wound.

"Yeah, you'll live." Dean then got up, grabbed a bottle of alcohol and a towel then turned back to Sam.

"Baby are you okay? " Nova rubs Sam's shoulder.

He gave her a small smile then inhales sharply when Dean poured some alcohol over his palm.

"All right take it easy." Dean told him as Nova squeezed Sam's shoulder softly.

After a few minutes Dean looked at Sam and spoke sternly, "How are you doing? And do not say okay. "

"I'm not okay." Sam shook his head.

"You think?"

"Go a little easy. " Nova told him.

"There's nothing easy about it okay? We acted like he had everything under control."

"I get it, I'm sorry. Look, I-I didn't exactly want to Crack up, you know?"

"Sam, what happened?" Nova asked as she sat down on the arm of the chair.

"You sure you want to know? " Sam looked at her.

She rubbed her hand down the back of his head with a nod, "I wouldn't have asked if I didn't want to know."

"Well, it's not just flashbacks anymore."

"Well, then what?"

"Is more like... I'm seeing through the cracks."

"What does that mean? " Nova was confused.

"I'm having a difficult time figuring out what's real."

"So you're having hallucinations?" Nova questioned.

Dean thought Sam was hiding it but he assured him he wasn't, that he was just not talking about it. After they questioned him more about what he was seeing he confessed it was Lucifer himself that he was seeing