the prettiest boy he has ever seen

tw/cw: hair pulling, heavy mentions of alcohol and drinking, briefly implied drunk driving, briefly implied loss of a family member.

when dream was twelve his younger sister had come into his room and quietly requested he learn how to braid hair... he laughed and told her to get out, turning back to his video games. he was a good brother, honest he was, but he was a boy! why would he ever want to braid hair?

dream's mum used to always braid his sister's hair but she'd recently slipped into some unhealthy habits.

dream may have been a kid, but he wasn't stupid. he would see her leave late at night, regardless of the fact he and his sister would be left alone. he would see her return in the early hours of the morning, recklessly driving her car into the garage and stumbling up to the front door. he would see the marks left on her which, after a talk with his best friend nick, he discovered were left by men. he quickly learnt that, because of her lifestyle, she wouldn't wake up early enough to drive the two to school.

so, after a few detentions for being late, he took it into his own hands to make sure they got to school, even if it meant walking.

anyway, the interaction with his sister had slipped his mind, passing by as another useless conversation he didn't care to think about... until a couple weeks later.

he was getting getting ready for school, like always, when he heard muffled cries coming from his sisters room. obviously intrigued, and maybe just a little concerned, he lightly pushed open the door to her room to see her sat in front of her mirror, eyes and face red, sobbing, and violently tugging at her own hair.

after a few moments of contemplating what he was supposed to do, something clicked in his head and he realised she wasn't pulling on her hair out of sadness or anger. she was trying to fold it into a braid.

guilt coiled up around him like fog, clouding his mind as he stood and watched her hysterically cry over something he could've so easily prevented. he quickly realised that, after dream had started treating his sister like his own, she had confided in him like some kind of caregiver. when their mum stopped taking her to school, he started waking up earlier to get them ready. when she stopped making them dinner, he had learnt how to cook. and so, when their mum couldn't be bothered to find the time to do her hair, it was no surprise she'd turned to clay. after losing her dad and her mum slipping away she was grasping onto the one thing she had left.

and maybe it wasn't THAT big of a deal, but, in that moment, watching her cry out, he couldn't help feel like the worst big brother ever.

so, that night, after putting his sister to bed, he stayed up till some stupid hour of the morning, early enough to hear his mum arriving home, learning how to braid hair. he watched countless youtube video's on different styles of braids, (not knowing what kind his sister liked) and practiced them on his sisters dolls. when he felt like he'd mastered the skill he brushed out his own hair, which had grown long after his mum 'couldn't afford' to get him a hair cut, and practiced on himself. not that he would ever admit that.

needless to say, his sister went to school the next day with the best braids in her class.

a few years later he'd taught his sister so that she could do her hair herself and, skipping forward further in time, big, muscly, eighteen year old, football captain, dream decided that he was way past ever using that skill again.