PROLOGUE

Irenielle (ay-ren-nyel) 🧚🏻‍♀️

Family gathering is one of my favorite events of the year. This is the only time that I could be with my family without being conscious if there were cameras around.

I grew up abroad with my parents and siblings. We just go home twice or thrice a year. All my life I've never went public with the family here in the Philippines, the people don't know about me.

That was the only thing I didn't have, and that made me so jealous. I saw my cousins and brother's bonding on public and I have to hide out of the limelight.

My mom already explained about this to me. They are just doing this to protect me. I am aware of my family's issues. Hindi naman totoo ang mga iyon eh. I still don't understand why do people talk ill about my family.

All these years I saw and heard people talk meanly to my family. And my heart hurts because of that.

Cause how can people say mean things to the people who did nothing bad and still get blamed for it?

"Irenielle." rinig kong tawag ni mommy.

I stood up from sitting down on my bed and walked towards the door. I opened it and I saw my beautiful mom standing at the front.

She's absolutely gorgeous. Even with her gray hair, she's still look so ravishing. My relatives says that I am a copy of my mom. And I'm so proud of it.

I smiled at her and she smiled back.

"Let's go downstairs na, let's have breakfast. Everybody's waiting," aniya.

"Oh okay." I said as I closed my room door. And cling on to my mom's arms.

We are in our house in Manila. It's tito Bong's campaign period, and we went home to support him.

From the grand staircase, I can already hear their giggles from the dining table.

"Good morning!" masigla kong sabi noong nakarating na sa dining area.

They all gave me a sweet smile. My mom sat down beside my dad, and I went near Mama Meldy and gave her a kiss on the cheek.

"Good morning, Mama Meldy."

"Good morning, apo." sabi nito at marahan akong hinalikan sa noo.

I sat down at the vacant chair beside Ate Cara. My niece Mia is sitting on her lap.

"Hi Mia pretty!" bati ko.

Lumingon ito sa akin at matamis na ngumiti.

"Good morning tita pretty!" sabi niya at mabilis akong hinalikan sa pisngi.

Someone came out of the common bathroom downstairs and it was tito Bong.

"Oh! Gising na pala ang mahal na prinsesa!" he teased me.

I rolled my eyes and pouted.

"Good morning too, tito." sabi ko.

They laughed at me. Nagdasal muna kami at pagkatapos ay nagsalin na kami ng pagkain sa aming plato. We were eating peacefully while catching up.

I drank my juice as I listen to them talk about tito's campaign. I cannot interfere because I can't do anything cause people don't know me. As much as I want to help, wala akong magawa.

Napansin ata ni ate Cara ang katahimikan ko. I felt her hand stroking my back. I looked at her and she gave me an assuring smile.

"I hope you're okay," she whispered.

I gave her a small smile and nod. I stopped eating and continued listening to them.

I felt the stolen glances of Kuya Luis and Kuya Vinny too. I know that they know that I usually don't talk, when they are talking about public appearance.

Nang natapos na kaming kumain, iniligpit na ang mga pinagkainan namin at nagpatuloy sa pag-kwekwentuhan.

"How about you, Irenielle? Baka may boyfriend ka na ha," sabi ni tita Imee.

"Of course, wala po." I pouted.

"Sus! Wala daw! I'm sure meron," asar ni kuya Matt.

My eyes widened and my brows furrowed in confusion.

"Wala nga. Promise!" I said while raising my right hand.

"Takot ka lang ata sa mga kuya mo eh," dagdag ni tito Bong.

I face-palmed and sighed. Tinawanan lang nila ako! Why do they keep insisting? Ipipilit nila na may boyfriend ako pero kapag meron I'm sure they'll be furious!

"Wala nga po. I'm not interested," sabi ko.

They all look at me like they don't believe me! I rolled my eyes and sighed.

"Ah. Tito Bong.." tawag ko.

He looked at me.

"Can I join you in your campaign?" diretsahan kong tanong.

They looked at me, shocked. Dumaan ang pagkadismaya sa mukha ko at bumuntong-hininga.

"Bawal pa rin po ba?" mahina kong tanong at sumimsim sa tubig ko.

Everybody was silent. Tinitingnan lang nila ako.

"Anak, you know naman why we're doing thi—"

Pinutol ko ang sasabihin ni mommy.

"I thought po kasi pwede na ngayon," lumunok ako at nag-iwas ng tingin sa kanila.

"You know we can't diba? People would dug deeper in your life, anak. They would invade your privacy, you won't have a normal life." pagpapaintindi ni mommy sa akin.

I sighed. "I can't have a normal life, mom. This is not normal if people don't know me."

"We're afraid na baka ma-apektuhan ka sa mga batikos nila." sabi ni tita Imee.

"I'm not a kid anymore! I'm not in Mia's age! I'm old enough to understand! I'm now twenty-two! If you still have the eleven years old me on your mind, then it's okay! But you have to sink this in your mind that I am twenty-two!" I stood up and exclaimed.

Naluluha akong nag walk out. Before I even get out of the dining area, I felt a huge hand on my arms, stopping me. I turned to look and saw kuya Alfonso.

"Please just understand, Irenielle." marahang sabi sa akin ni kuya Alfy.

I looked at him with tears pooling my eyes.

"When did not I understand?" sabi ko.

Nakitang kong napapikit ng mariin si kuya Alfy at unti-unting binitawan ang kamay nya sa braso ko.

"You won't have freedom if people would know you. They would always find a way to stir into your life, and we don't want you to experience that. We are just trying to protect you from harm," sabi ni kuya Alfy.

"I can protect my self. Or maybe you don't want to reveal me to the public because you don't want people to know me as your relati—"

"Of course not!" halos sabay-sabay nilang sabi.

"Then why don't you want the world to know me?! When will I get the chance to tell the people that I'm your family?!" frustrated kong saad.

They all looked so sorry. Tumutulo na ang mga luha galing sa mata ko. Kuya Alfy hugged me tight. I pulled out from the embrace.

"I FREAKING HATE YOU ALL FOR THIS!" sigaw ko.

"Language, Irenielle!" baritonong boses ni daddy ang nagpagulat sa akin.

I wiped my tears and swallowed my saliva.

"I understand. Like I always do. Sorry for shouting and talking back. I'll head to my room now," sabi ko at tinalikuran sila para magtungo sa kwarto.