39

This will be the longest chapter I'll ever write in this book.

Today is my 23rd birthday! Kahapon pa kami nandito sa Ilocos. First thing that I always do during my birthday, go to church. We slept in our house here in Batac and we'll be going to Sarrat to go to Santa Monica Parish Church where my parents got married.

"Love, ready na?" Mommy asked, she's peeking at my door. I smiled and nodded. Pumasok si Mommy sa kwarto at nilapitan ako.

I tightened my hair in a ponytail style and asked Mommy to help me put the ribbon that my Manongs bought for me when we went out. Inayos ni Mommy and buhok ko.

"Perfect." She stared at me through my vanity mirror. Tiningnan ko siya sa aking likuran.

My Mom still looks stunning. Mas lalo siyang gumaganda sa bawat araw na lumilipas. Calling me as my Mommy's little version should be an insult for her, she's way far more beautiful than me. I'm the splitting image of her, in her own words. But as each day passes, I've realized na mas masyadong maganda si Mommy kumpara sa akin.

"Why are you staring at Mommy like that?" She said as she fixed the puffs on my sleeves.

"You're so gorgeous, Mommy..." I smiled. She giggled and shook her head.

"You're more gorgeous, Irenielle... And it would always be like that," she held my chin as she uttered those words.

"No, Mommy eh... Sobrang ganda mo po. Na kapag tinatawag akong Little Irene it should be an insult for you," nangunot ang noo niya.

"What do you mean? You're really the Little Irene cause you're my daughter. You're the Little Irene, literally and figuratively, love.."

I pouted. "Wala ako halos sa kalingkingan mo, 'mmy. You're very very very gorgeous. You could actually still pull men, my age." I chuckled.

"Sira!" She cupped my face and looked at me straight in the eye. "Everyone calling you Little Irene, is an honor for me. Cause that means I conceived and gave birth to a very strong yet sensitive, a loving and kind woman. That just shows that I did well on raising a lady like you. You and your brothers are the living existence of my purpose in life, and that is being a mother." malambing niyang sabi.

I nodded and smiled. I hugged her and rested my cheek on her shoulder. I felt Mommy caressing my back. "Thank you for everything, Mommy. No one could've raised me better other than you. I love you so much."

"I love you more, my darling... I am always lucky waking up knowing that I am your Mommy..." I felt her kiss my head. "Happy birthday, my love."

We pulled out from the embrace and clasped our hands together. "Thank you, Mommy. Happy 23 years of being a mother to me. We should celebrate that too."

She giggled. "Happy birthday to you and happy 23 years of me being a mother to you, then." natawa na lang kami.

"Let's go na, 'mmy. Naiinip na siguro si Manong Alfy," natawa si Mommy sa sinabi ko at tumango na lang. We left my room and went downstairs.

Nasa Saud beach na yung mga gamit namin para pamalit para sa celebration ko mamaya. I saw my cousins downstairs, nagkukwentuhan na lang habang hinihintay ako. Mia rushed to me when she saw me coming down.

"Wow! You look so pretty! Happy birthday, Tita!" masigla niyang sabi. Bakas sa mukha niya ang pagkamangha habang nakatingin sa akin.

"You're so pretty too, Mia... And thank you, love." I said and pinched her cheek a bit. Binati nila ako lahat.

"She's wearing the ribbon we bought, Kuya Mike." nakangiting sabi ni Kuya Vinny.

"Oo nga. She looks cute." Sabi ni Kuya Michael sabay tawa.