Chapter 7 - Poisoned

Makai

I am taken aback when Beta Paul tells me that the Divine Priestess wants to meet with me. I can't fanthom why the oldest werewolf would want to see me.

Had Storm asked her to assist me in finding my mate as well? I know Storm. If he is getting mated, he might feel that I will be lonely. He is perfectly capable of asking her to find me the mate I don't want.

"Are you sure you don't want a mate?" Kitai inquires curiously.

"Yes, I'm sure," I insist firmly. He laughs at me. "Liar. You're just afraid."

"I'm not afraid," I grit out in irritation, making him laugh even harder.

The reason I don't want a mate is a little more complicated, but one thing is certain: I don't want one.

I ignore the looks I get as I make my way to the Alpha's Pavilion, feeling more confident now that I've showered and am fully dressed in a clean pair of jeans and a shirt.

I'm almost there when I hear my name. I pause for a moment, taken aback, and turn to see the beauty who had been sitting beside Storm walking toward me. I meet her halfway, sensing the power that lies behind the stunning woman. When I realize who she is, my eyes widen in recognition. Given how young she appears, it seemed impossible, but the power emanating from her could not be denied.

Some of the pack members are staring at her with interest, not knowing who she is.

"I'm not sure how to address you," I finally say after we've both studied each other for a while.

Her eyes change from brown to bright green as she smiles at me, and I can't help but feel enchanted.

"Feel free to call me Aris; we'll be far too acquainted for formality."

"I'd be honored, Aris," I respond, my mind racing as I tried to think of any reason we'd be acquainted.

"Come on, Dear, let's go up there and talk."

I walk up the Pavilion stairs with her, people parting quickly for us as we passed, whispering among themselves.

My nostrils fill with the fragrance of raspberry and candy as we climb up the steps and my heart races as it always does. I frown slightly, detecting something else with the sweet smell that I can't place. It's as if it's been... tainted?

When we reach the top, I notice rows of chairs on one side where Alpha Ben, Beta Paul, Luna Cecilia, and Storm's oldest brother Quinn are sitting while they meet with pack members.

I don't see Storm at first because he is on the other side of the Pavilion, which was hidden from my view.

As soon as he steps into my view, I see that he looks weak, and I can tell he is going to fall before he even starts to drop. Kitai takes over, and I don't notice anything else. I am human one second and wolf the next, sprinting across the distance to him and then reverting to human to catch him before he falls. The transitions are so abrupt that I feel a whiplash effect through the haze I'm in, making me slightly dizzy.

Storm fell onto my chest, and I am lying on my back with my arms around him. I hear gasps and shouts, but they sound distant, as if from afar.

While still in human form, I feel the beast take over, and to my utmost shock, hear him growl possessively, "Mate!"

The word echoes in my head, the emotion resonating within me. Mate! Mine!

Through the beast's eyes, I see that Storm's eyes are glowing bright blue, his fangs down as his wolf responds to my beast's call with his own loud and possessive growl. "Mate!"