Chapter 14 - Fighting for Him

Makai

The date with Storm was perfect, and after it is over Storm teleports me home and then went back to talk to Quinn about the incident.

I wake up about two hours later to a warm body snuggling against me. I pull my mate closer and fall back into sleep.

When I open my eyes again to sunlight streaming through my curtains, Storm is gone. I brush off the pang of disappointment I feel at his absence and rise from the bed. I need to stretch my limbs.

"Kitai? Ready for a run?"

"Always."

After changing into sweats, I am about to leave my room when Storm reappears.

"Hey, you're awake."

"Yes. Did you go home?"

He nods and walks over to sit on the bed with a yawn.

"Yes, I wanted to check my schedule with Quinn before the day starts. I have a teaching class today."

Storm is an instructor for the Hakhan Pack Swim Club, teaching teenagers how to swim fast underwater in both human and wolf forms. Being wolves, we were already good swimmers, but it took a lot of extra effort to become Champions in the Annual Were Games, which is the competition the swim club trains for.

Previously, the pack did not take the swim competitions seriously. However, for the past two years since Storm developed an interest in the swim team, the whole pack has been keenly following the progress of the team. Last year they placed second, and they've been working hard to attain first place this year.

Storm has been keeping me updated on their progress and the antics of the teenagers, half of whom I suspect are crushing on my mate.

"Oh, I didn't know you guys had resumed practice. What time do you have to teach?"

"They resumed a week ago, I'm just now able to resume my instructions because things have been hectic for me since Quinn and I came back.
I have to be there at 1 pm. It will just take an hour and a half so we should both be fine without the bond making us sick. I'll call you when I'm done and come to you."

"That's fine, I'll be painting while you teach."

He got that expression on his face I didn't like because it meant he was going to say something that I wouldn't like. It usually started with him saying he's been thinking.

"You know, Kai, I've been thinking," Storm finally speaks, and I can't help the internal sigh.

"I knew it," I mutter under my breath, but he must have heard me because he gives me a frown. "Did you say something? "

"Never mind", I say quickly. "What have you been thinking about?"

"Nick and I have been trying to find more extracurricular activities for the teenagers at the pack orphanage. Some of them joined the swim team, but we only have space for ten swimmers. The last time Nick brought that Art teacher to hold the art class many of the teens were interested."

No no no no no. Hell, no.

He gives me a sidelong glance and set a worried look on his face before continuing, "But the man is busy with classes in town and doesn't come often to teach the pack kids. If we could get another teacher for the kids, it would be so awesome. Maybe you could teach-"

"No," I answer emphatically before he can finish.

"You don't even know what I'm going to say," he protests with a scowl.

I smile wanly at him. "We both know what you're going to say, and we both know it's not going to happen."

"Why not?"