Chapter 37 - Callum

Storm

As soon as I wake up from my nap I have a feeling that something is wrong. Tuning my ear, I can hear Makai in our living room muttering to himself. I can't hear what he's saying but I can tell that he is agitated.

Stretching, I swing my legs over the bed and rub my tummy. I need to find something to eat. Out of habit, I run my fingers over my friendship bracelet, jerking in surprise when I find my wrist empty. Brows knitted in confusion, I walk to my wardrobe to find the box I keep it in when I'm not wearing it. I could have sworn that I was wearing it though.

I've been contemplating meeting up with Callum to convince him to tell me the whole truth so that I can help him out of whatever trouble he's in. He asked me for time, but I've given him more than enough time. Things are getting out of hand, and I don't want him to get in too deep such that digging him out is problematic. He's already in enough trouble with his Council that will take a lot of tap dancing to clear him of.

When I find the box empty, my distress increases. Did I lose it?

For the next ten minutes, I search the room; on the bed, in the wardrobe, and in every nook and cranny I could have dropped it, even the bathroom. When it still doesn't show up, I curse myself for protecting it against seeking spells. I didn't think it was a problem because aside from losing it myself-- which is next to impossible, nobody else can take it from my wrist without triggering a repelling spell. Nobody except my--"

My stomach drops as a sick realization fills me, but I tell myself to calm down. He would never do that to me. Even though we are at odds with each other at the moment, Makai wouldn't betray my trust this way. He wouldn't.

"He might if he thinks he is protecting you," Rain chimes in cautiously.

Deep inside, I know that, but I refuse to believe it. "No, he won't. Because he knows I would never forgive him."

"Storm, you need to calm down and listen-"

"I said he won't! And I'm perfectly calm."

I'm deep in denial and worst of all, I have a feeling Rain is right, but I don't want to accept it. Because I know that if my mate betrayed my trust this way, it is going to push us even further apart and destroy any hope of a reconciliation. My phone is also gone. And Kai is the only person who knows about the app on my phone that I use to get in touch with Callum. He is also the only one who knows that the bracelet serves as a beacon for Callum to find me if I request a meeting with him through the app. And now both my phone and the bracelet are gone.

"Storm, you're shaking, and your magic is starting to seep."

I take a look around and realize Rain is right. The covers are flying off the bed, the bed itself is shaking and our belongings are moving around the room. I suck in my magic, and everything in the room returns to its original position in seconds.

Just as I decide to go and find my mate, the door opens and Makai walks in. One look at the guilt on his face and I know.

"What did you do, Makai? What have you d-done?"
My words escape in a whisper and break into a sob at the end.

"I'm sorry. They just wanted to talk to him, and I did it for you."

I stare at my mate in shock. "You what?"