Chapter 42- Mixed Blessings

Storm

Nothing could have prepared me for today, and as we're hit with another blow I try not to think about Callum's life being a ticking time bomb unless we find a way to complete the cure for the bite.

"If she has been listening in on our conversations, it's no wonder they knew every move we were making," Makai comments.

Quinn is stricken. "I'm so sorry. I had no idea," he repeats, not looking at any of us. It's obvious he feels responsible even though it's not his fault. I open my mouth to tell him not to feel bad about Anna's transgressions when he frowns and asks no one in particular, "But how can this be? She's my mate. How is this even possible?"

"It's not your fault," Callum comforts, beating me to it. I can't believe how unfair this whole situation is. Callum deserves better than this. He deserves better than to die to avoid turning into a monster. I swallow at the thought of Callum dying. I can't let him die. I don't know how I'm going to achieve that, but this can't be the end for him.

I return my attention to Quinn's confused rambling early enough to hear him ask me. "Are you...are you sure that it's Anna? I-" He pauses and swallows hard, trying to control his emotions. "This is someone I lived with, slept with, for years!"

I feel sorry for my brother, but I'm certain that I'm right. Without answering him, I turn back to the board I conjured, pointing at the man we knew as the leader of The Cause.

"There was something strange about his looks. As though his features didn't fit his face. And it also explains why he looked familiar to all of us even though we were also sure that we hadn't met him. Now, look at this."

I change the position of his eyes, bringing them slightly closer together. Then I add Anna's long blonde hair. I widen his mouth slightly as well, then reduce the size of his nose. Quinn stares in resigned disbelief as another picture of Anna stares at us after I have removed the illusion features.

"It's really her. It's Anna," Quinn whispers. He's staring at the picture like he wants to look away but can't bring himself to. There's something else about her that is nagging at my brain but I can't figure out what it is. It is after I've cleared the board that it hits me.

"Purple..."

"What?" Makai asks.

"Anna always has a purple scarf or something purple on her. I think that is what she was using to create the illusion block. Remember the magical footprint we found in that pawn shop? It was purple too. She was the one who attacked us. And she knew where we were going because we told Quinn."

"It makes a certain kind of sick sense," Quinn admits. "Anna is gone more than half the time, presumably for work. And she avoids being at Pack functions for long periods. I just never thought much of it."

I nod. "Now I suspect the attack that caused her to have an excuse to miss Full Moon Runs was self-orchestrated. It is hard to keep the illusion and farce during such rites. If she has magic, she must at least be a hybrid. How didn't we feel the magic in her?"

"Blocking," Angel supplies. "You can block your magic for long periods if you can make the potion or spell."

Makai is surprised. "Really? I didn't think that would be possible."

"Believe me, he knows what he's talking about," Dion inserts sourly.

Angel sighs and rubs a calming hand on his arm. "Babe, come on. I'm sorry, okay? Are you ever going to forget after forgiving?"

Dion's expression clears, and with a small smile, he kisses his mate's cheek. "I am sorry. I didn't mean to- it's just the reminder still rubs me wrong, but I'll get over it eventually. Besides, this is not the time for this."