Chapter 45 - Isha

Storm

"We tested your blood, and there is no trace of the venom in it. There is nothing in there that shouldn't be." Mars says.

"Shouldn't that be good news?" Quinn asks.

"That is great news. That part isn't the problem. The reason why is what has me destabilized. Mr. King, I have found out why the venom didn't affect you as it should have. But I don't know how you're going to take what I have to tell you."

His eyes sweep over the rest of us.

"I don't know how any of you are going to take it either."

I tighten my hold protectively on Callum, hoping that we're not going to hear any news that will destroy my friend.

"Can we sit? This is going to take a while," Mars requests.

"Please," he adds when we all remain in place.

Aris takes the lead and returns to her seat, prompting the rest of us to do the same. Our seating position changes as Angel and I remain on either side of Callum.

I use magic to pull one of the dining chairs for Mars to sit in. Nobody speaks again as we wait for Mars to talk.

"Before I get into the almost unbelievable explanation, Mr. King, I need to ask you something."

Callum frowns. "About what?"

"About your experience at the pawn shop."

What?

The unexpected direction of the conversation surprises us.

"What?" Callum asks in surprise.

"I know you have already been over this and my questioning seems out of orbit, but trust me, it is extremely relevant to what I have to tell you," Mars assures.

Callum lifts a shoulder. "I guess I can tell you what happened again. The first time, he asked me to come back. But when I did, he said it wasn't the right time. The next time I saw him was when I followed the members of the Cause to his shop and saw him lying on the floor dying."

Mars nods. "And do you remember what he said to you?"

Callum frowns. "Like I said earlier, he was muttering words that didn't make sense, calling me someone else's name. Apologizing for abandoning me- or whoever that person was. He said it was for the best, that Nana has fallen into the way of the evil that begot her, and it was good that I was there now for him to give the key."

Mars stares keenly at Callum. "And? What did he call you?"

Callum's brows draw together as he tries to remember. He shakes his head apologetically after a moment. "I'm sorry. I can't remember."

"Was it Isha?" Mars asks. "Did he call you Isha?"

Callum's eyes widen in recognition. "Yes, yes! That was the name. And I remember more now. I cannot believe that I forgot so much of it."

"Can you tell us what you remember?" Mars requests.

Callum lifts a careless shoulder. "Sure."

-Flashback-

Callum

Glancing around to make sure that nobody is following me, I rush into the pawn shop, stopping short when I see the old man lying there in a pool of blood with the telltale bite of an abomination on his side. I feel a sudden unexpected deep sense of loss.