Chapter 8 - Destined Mates

Makai

I wake up a few hours later and take a shower before Aris comes in to speak with me.

She gives me a once-over when I move from the chair by the bed to the sofa to sit with her.

"Are you all right?"

I shrug. "I'm fine; I just need him to wake up."

She glances at the bed. "He'll wake up soon. I've asked them to bring him a tray of food because he'll be ravenous when he wakes up."

"I'm hoping he does. I already miss talking to him, which is weird because I'm used to us going days or weeks without speaking to each other, especially when he's outside the pack."

"Why don't you use phones?"

"Storm has tried to get me on it, and he has even gotten me one but I always forget to charge it. He gave up and resorted to emails because I use my laptop frequently."

Aris burst out laughing. "You're a fascinating contradiction, Makai."

"But, to clarify, you miss him more than you used to because you now recognize each other as mates. You'll discover that not touching him will be nearly impossible for you now, whereas in the past you were able to resist and avoid it. Now you won't only be fighting your instincts, but your wolf's as well."

Something about my expression must alert her to how I feel about the mating because her eyes lose some of the sparkle when she asks, "What's the problem?"

"I'm not sure about this mate thing," I admit, feeling ashamed when I sense her disappointment at my admission.

"Storm did tell me about your aversion to having a mate. It was one of the things that made him the most nervous after he suspected that you were his mate."

"It's not just that," I say, struggling to find words to explain my dilemma. "I don't believe we're right for each other."

"Here we go again," Kitai grumbles with mock tiredness.

"You won't find a better mate than that boy," she says, her face full of disappointment.

"Of course not. I know that. Storm is the best man anyone could have as a mate. He's perfect."

Her brow furrows in bewilderment. "So, what's the issue?"

"He deserves so much more than-"

A soft groan from the bed cuts my explanation short, and when I look over, Storm's eyes are still closed but I can tell that he'll wake up soon.

Aris grabs my hand tightly before I can rush off to check on him. She has a surprisingly strong grip on a small woman.

"Have you forgotten that she's the oldest werewolf?" Kitai mocks, rolling his eyes. I ignore him.

Aris' eyes flash amber as she stares at me, her face sober. "He's waking up so I'm going to call his family. They have all been worried sick. Please hold on with whatever problem you have with him being your mate for now. You're not going to hurt that boy as soon as he wakes up. You're not going to side with his family over this. You're going to be on your mate's side as he fights his family and the rest of the pack if he has to, for a chance with you."

She takes a deep breath and pauses, her eyes returning to captivating deep brown orbs.

"This isn't me attempting to impose something on you as a divine or priestess or any of the other titles I seem to have amassed. This is me pleading with you as his friend."

Friend? I'm not even surprised that Storm has found a way to befriend the divine.

Knowing Storm, he had probably felt she was lonely or something similar.