Chapter 12 - Taking a Chance

Makai

Kissing Storm was a mistake.

I had succumbed to desire and fallen into the bewitching eyes of my mate and now I am paying the price because I can't think of anything else but those soft lips on mine and his ass in my palm. I needed to get a serious grip and find my previous nonchalance again before I do something worse than just kissing him.

The heated glances he keeps throwing at me assure me that he wouldn't mind if I do something more, but I had to be the level-headed one.

After our kiss, I had shown Storm my new collection which was named "Wild". He was excited about it and loved the ones I had painted so far. Now as I look at him, an idea begins to form in my mind.

"Would you pose for me in your wolf form?"

"Of course, Kai," he responds excitedly and with a smile that has my brain temporarily scrambled. I swallow and look away.

"I'll let you know when I need you."

"Sure."

Storm keeps me company for a while, watching silently as I put the finishing touches on a painting of an eagle swooping down onto prey below.

I had just finished when I hear a soft rumble and turn to Storm in surprise.

"I'm hungry," he informs me with a sheepish look on his face, and my eyes widen when I remember that he hasn't eaten anything all day.

"Goddess, Storm, I'm so sorry. I forgot that you hadn't eaten anything today," I apologize profusely, feeling utterly terrible.

I can't believe I've been this negligent. I need to take better care of him.

"Kai, I'm an adult. You don't have to take care of me," he assures me as if he could read my mind.

I shrug but don't respond. I have always been protective of Storm, but finding out he's my mate has made it worse.

"Let me clean up and take you hom- to my place. I'll whip up something quick for you."

He smiles but doesn't acknowledge my slip, and I'm grateful.

"Allow me," he says instead, and with a wave of his hand my hands were clean from paint, and all the supplies I had been using are clean and stored.

"I keep forgetting how handy it is to have you around," I admit mildly.

"You'll get used to it soon enough," he assures me. "Can we leave now?"

"Sure," I respond, and he loops our arms together. I have a few seconds to register with a startle how unnaturally hot his arm feels before we teleport and arrive at my house.

"Are you okay?" I ask in concern, receiving a confused frown from him. "Of course, why do you ask?"

I feel his arm again and I'm the one who is confused now when I find the temperature back to normal.

Did I imagine it?

"Kai?"

I shake my head, giving him a once-over. He does seem fine. "Never mind, let me get started on lunch. Is there anything in particular, you would like to eat?"

"No, anything you make is fine. Just not too many vegetables."

"Vegetables are good for you."

He rolls his eyes at me. "I'm a wolf, not a human."

I laugh and pull out ingredients to start making club sandwiches with thick slabs of meat.

"Can I help?"