Chapter 24 - Back Home

Storm

I wake up the following morning a little sad. I know I'm acting like a whiny child but I miss sleeping in my mate's arms. This love thing is too scary because now I can't imagine my mate not wanting me anymore. The thought fills me with a deep sense of dread and I wrap the blanket more firmly around myself.

"Kai?" I reach out through the mate bond.

"Sunshine, you're awake." His deep, gravelly voice wraps around me like a blanket, and the smile that spreads on my face is full and satisfied. I feel grounded again.

"I miss sleeping with you," I tell him, and I can hear the smile in his voice when he says "I miss you more."

I doubt very much that is possible, but my toes curl. Hearing it fills me with pleasure nonetheless.

"Are you still in bed?" I ask, stretching and stifling a yawn.

"Yes, I woke up some time ago but I didn't want to disturb you in case you were still sleeping. How are you feeling this morning?"

"I'm good, just miss you. I just woke up. When am I seeing you today?"

He clears his throat and says slowly, "Errm...I'm not sure we can meet today."

I frown in confusion. "Are we not meeting to work on the clues?"

And don't you just want to see me?

He hesitates for a few seconds and that makes me nervous. Doesn't he miss me? Besides, the Full Moon Dance is tomorrow, and I wanted to see him today to convince him to come with me.

I don't mind if we even stay for half an hour if that's all he can manage. We could then leave together and spend time elsewhere.
I had thought about it and even worked out this compromise.

I know he asked me to give him time but it's tomorrow, and not knowing if I will have a date or not is making me anxious.

"I just have a lot to do today so I'm not sure when I will be able to meet up with you. I need a couple of days to finish up with a few things then I can give you my undivided attention."

A couple of days? I'm not going to see him for a couple of days?

I swallow my disappointment because he is indirectly telling me that I will be going to the Full Moon Dance alone.

"Storm?" He prods when I go silent.

"When you say a couple of days, does that mean I won't see you at all during that time?" I need to be clear.

He hesitates again. "Most likely. But I promise I'll make it up to you afterward."

That does nothing to mollify me.

"I can't even teleport to you to see you for a few seconds and then leave?" I prod more just to be sure.

Another hesitation. "Can we just communicate like this for a while? Besides, absence makes the heart grow fonder, right? And it's just for two days max and we'll be together again."

He sounds a little strange and I try to push back the lump that is quickly forming in my throat.

"Storm?" His voice sounds pained, and I swallow the slight resentment that makes me feel. What reason did he have to be pained? He's not the one whose mate doesn't want to see him for whatever reason.