Chapter 11 - Hope & Progress

A/N
POV will start with Makai and switch to Storm midway for a better reading experience. And just in case you've forgotten what he looks like, above is a picture of our beautiful sunshine.

Makai

We stay silent for a few minutes, each of us lost in his own thoughts.

I'm about to speak when Storm talks, his voice sounding small and vulnerable.

"I'm so scared, Kai. I'm scared that you will reject me and just the thought is killing me. I know the bond might force us together one way or the other, but even if we can't do anything about it, and even if rejection doesn't break the bond, I don't want it to be the only reason we're together.

I don't want to carry around the feeling of being rejected by the one person in the world who should want me the most. Please give me a chance to be your mate, Kai. Give me a chance before you reject me"

He looks so dejected and scared, and before I realize what I'm doing, my hands are caressing his face.

"I'm not going to reject you, Storm," I whisper, and a feeling of intense relief fills the room. But before his hopes can go up, I add quickly, "I was hoping you would reject me instead."

He raises shocked blue eyes to me, a burst of sad emotions replacing the relieved one that had engulfed him just seconds before.

"What?"

"It will be different if you do the rejecting. It will make more sense, and we could go on as before, as friends."

He just stares at me in silence, as if unsure of what to say. Finally, he gives a sad sigh and asks softly, "Why should there be any rejection at all Kai? Why can't we just build on the friendship we already have, with the connection the Goddess has given us, and forge something stronger and deeper? Why, Kai? Why does this have to be so difficult and painful?"

I don't respond, and he continues in that same soft tone, "Do you really want to be alone forever? And subject me to the same fate? Because I don't know if you've forgotten, but unless I can somehow manage to live to the next generation and fight the new Raai for his Rekan, I don't have any other choice for a mate either.

Beyond all of that, I want you to choose me, Kai. I want you to want me enough to give us a chance at happiness together. I want you to have faith in me, in us, enough to want to give this a try."

Kitai is getting anxious, and I know that I have to pacify both him and Storm before the beast forces its way to the surface.

I was tired of hurting Storm so much in one night. I didn't have it in me to ignore the foreign emotion of hurt and fear that was mingling with his usual smell of raspberry and candy.

"Kai? Please. Give me a chance to make you happy. I already know that you will make me happy. I promise to be the best mate ever. We deserve this chance at happiness together, Kai."

I take a deep breath. Maybe it won't hurt to give this a chance. And maybe the best way to show him that this was a bad idea was to live it for him to see.

Whatever the case is, I can't hurt him anymore. I can't bear this vulnerable, sad look that has taken over my sunshine, so I take a deep breath and take a plunge.

"Okay. Fine. I - I promise to give it a chance. I'm not promising that I'll change my mind, but I'm going to open my mind to-"

I'm flooded by a deep sense of relief and joy, and I inhale the sweet smell of raspberry and candy that fill my nostrils as he launches himself at me and hugs me tightly.