Chapter 9 - The Protectors of the Moon

Makai

We take a brief break from Aris' "storytelling" to allow her to give Storm another herbal brew and for him to rest before returning to our original positions so that she can continue.

Storm's mother and sister are still giving me dirty looks, but I ignore them as I do the looks from the pack.

When the pack was informed that Storm was ill, they sent numerous gifts and well wishes. Those who witnessed his fainting in the Pavilion had spread rumors about what happened, including Storm and I being mates.

Quinn was forced to send messages via the pack link to inform them that Storm had an allergic reaction to something he ate and nothing else, to dispel some of the wild rumors about how I had attacked him with claws at the Pavilion.

He'd brushed over the mating rumors for the time being, telling them they'd hear from Storm himself soon.

During the brief respite, Storm's siblings called their partners to update them on his condition. His parents had both left and returned when he awoke from his nap, looking even better with most of the color restored to his skin.

Storm yanks me back into our previous position, oblivious to the stares we are getting, and tells Aris she can continue.

Aris sends him a fond smile and continues.

"The Rekan is the Supreme Warrior, he metes out justice on behalf of the goddess to people who are too powerful to be dealt with by the packs or the Council.

The Raai is his voice of reason, the pacifier, and the diplomat. The two of them make up the first half of the Protectors of the Moon."

The what?

"What?"

"Is that not just an ancient myth?" Alpha Ben asks in shock.

Everyone is baffled. I have a vague memory of hearing the term somewhere, but I can't pinpoint where, and the memory is fleeting at best.

"What's that?" Alma asks in bewilderment.

"Never heard of it either," Zane concurs.

Quinn informs his siblings, "It's an old Were myth. Well, it is assumed to be a myth. You can find the stories in some of the library's old books. Some parents use it as a deterrent for their children, scaring them into behaving properly. But I don't recall a Raai or a Rekan."

Aris chuckles. "The original Protectors gave themselves nicknames, which have been passed down for centuries instead of their actual titles.

Only a few people, mostly council members, are aware of the actual terms. And that is only because it is a part of the Were history they must learn to serve on the Council.

"If that's the case the Raai must be 'The Heart', and the Rekan 'The Beast', Quinn comments and Aris laughs in delight.

"Exactly! So there is the Rekan/the Beast, the Raai/the heart(of the beast), the Pixii/Mischief King, and the Mimic/the Shapeshifter. The four of them make up the Protectors of the Moon."

All the words seemed familiar to me, but something was nagging in my mind.
I open my mouth to ask Aris but change my mind and decide to ask her later.

"Does that mean that the Pixii and the Mimic are somewhere as we speak? Since we have a Raai and a Rekan." Alpha Ben asks.

"That's correct. The Rekan was the first Protector, and his mate became one as well. After the other two were added, they have been born in the same generation for centuries, coming together to fight an anticipated villain or villains who would be too much for ordinary wolves to deal with."