Chapter 32- A Common Enemy

Calem POV

I had taken a break from practice to watch the Pasio match. I yelled out, "YES!!" As Elio and Rosa closed it. I raised my arms in celebration and Dusty chuckled, "You really still have your heart there huh?" I nodded, "For a lot of reasons yeah. Chiefly that my fiance is there right now." Dusty nodded, "That makes sense. They're a really good team." I sat down and took a sip of water before replying, "Yeah. Elio and Brendan have been fantastic. The whole team has come alive under their leadership." Dusty pointed, "Yeah. Similar to what you just did here. I almost feel like we could take 4 or 5 points against Nimbasa if we play our best." I stood up, "Good reminder, let's get back to work. This is an opportunity to show what you've got. I want to make sure you get a new contract here." Dusty gave a thumbs up and we got back to work.

I walked out of the facility. I need a shower pretty bad, it was a hard day today. Skyla approached me, also looking exhausted, "Hey Calem. How'd practice go?" I smiled, "Good! I'm so tired." Skyla smiled back, "I had a great conversation with Serena today by the way! She's so sweet, and also had some great ideas for the wedding." I nodded, "Yeah she's the best isn't she? You seem like you had a pretty busy day otherwise." Skyla shrugged, "Being a gym leader is always pretty busy, but it's rewarding." Skyla walked away and waved, "I'm heading home. Good luck on the last day of practice tomorrow." I humbly responded, "Thank you. Have a good one."

I returned home and texted Elio and Brendan in our group chat (known simply as 'The Lads') to congratulate them on a hard fought win today. I then took out my notepad and scribbled some more game plan ideas for Nimbasa down furiously. If we can't win, we're at least going to give it all we've got. I penciled down a few ideas, I have two main goals for this. 1. Beat Nimbasa. 2. Make Dusty look good. I mean I'm sure Skyla would re sign him if I asked her too nicely, but I don't want to have to ask any more favors of her. She's paying for my entire wedding for goodness sake. If I could get her a win over her rival in a season like this... Oh man. Tomorrow I'm gonna do my best to get the whole team invested. It worked last time, and I'll ask them once more.

A thought blew in to the back of my head while I was trying to sleep. We didn't do much winning and we'll more than likely finish last in the Unova League as most expected. That being said, that means we get another top draft pick... I wonder... Would any of my old friends on Pasio be willing to join me here? Maybe I'll look into it.

I walked out in front of the whole team the next day in practice, this time they didn't turn away and simply stared at me. I looked at them, "I assume by the way you're all not looking away from me that you're willing to hear me out, and that you all know what I want from you." Austin groaned, "Get off your pedestal already. We've made up our minds. We're going to fight to help Miss Skyla." I shrugged, "Right yeah my bad. Anyway. That'll involve following the gameplan I drafted up for you all correct?" Austin eyed me up and down, before annoyedly replying, "Unfortunately yes." I pointed, "Yes yes ok cool. So, what say you we all go over that now?" A few of the team members nodded in agreement, I wheeled over a white board and began, "Ok. You guys know Nimbasa better than I do. So, where have they beaten us in the past?" One member raised their hand, "They're faster than us. And they all attack at the same time." I held my marker close to my chin before writing that down, I then asked for more and another chimed in, "Their Pokemon are strong too. We can't take them head to head." I wrote that down as well. Austin chuckled, "What do you plan to do with that information?" I drew some Xs and Os on the board and made a scenario. "So they're faster. They're accurate. They're coordinated. And they're powerful in a very raw sense. There's no weakness is there? Not inherently. They will be overconfident, they will not be prepared. We will." Austin heckled me again, "That doesn't mean anything." I shrugged, "Not yet. What I'm about to tell you is what we're gonna do about it. We're going to set traps. If you've watched Pasio battle lately you see them do it a lot. I taught them that, and I think we can do it here too. These traps neutralize their strength, and even though they attack together we are able to spring on one of them and confuse the other two." The team nodded in understanding and I clasped my hands, "Alright. Let's practice a few of them why don't we?"