○ Chapter 13 ○

The day continued on much that way

The day continued on much that way. Once the bathrooms were done, I took a quick break to make lunch for everyone. Making grilled cheeses at the request of both the boys. Mazie was a little less enthused about this. I added strawberries to their plates before cleaning up the mess in the kitchen. Nibbling on a few of the berries, snacking just enough to hold me over until dinnertime. I had too much left to do before I could sit down and actually eat. Gathering up my cleaning supplies once more, I head towards the bedrooms. I would tackle mine and Logan's firsts. Leaving the twins for last as it was usually the most time consuming picking up all of their toys.

Usually I would make them help me out, but with their dad home they were no where in sight. Too busy playing god knows what game at this point. It was nice that he was keeping them entertained and out of my way, but I would have preferred if he had just helped me get all of this done sooner so that I too could spend some time with the family.

The bedrooms didn't take as long as I had expected and in between the three rooms, I was able to throw another load of laundry in. Once I was done there it was time to head towards the kitchen. The day was nearing closer to an end and soon I would have to make dinner for everyone as well. My stomach growled at the thought of cooking. Normally I'd be done by now but with an extra person in the house even if just for a few days, the mess seemed to have doubled.

How could one person add so many chores to a simple weekly cleaning?

The laughter still echoed from the other room, and it broke my heart to know that I had other things I needed to do. If I didn't do them now, they would never get done and I would be just that much more behind next week. I made a mental note to try and get a few of these tasks done during the week in hopes to give myself more time next weekend. Doubtedly that would happen, but the thought was what mattered.

"Mom when is dinner?" Mazie asks, her voice startling out of my thoughts. I turned to look at her over my shoulder as I mobbed a section of the floor. Her socks left little footprints in the liquid that hadn't fully dried.

"Honey, it's only three you still have a couple of hours and I'm not done cleaning." I tried to usher her out of the kitchen, but the more I tried to press her towards the exit, the more she danced around stepping everywhere and anywhere she could.

The little footprints were multiplying as quickly as I could mop them away, causing me to mop myself into a corner. I mentally cursed.

"Mazie, I need you to go hang out with your brother and your father." I didn't mean the words to come out harsh, but they sounded more aggressive than I could have expected.

She turned on her heel, not making any eye contact with me as she started to whine. Running down the hallway she was soon back with the other people In the house.

A few moments later I heard footsteps coming back down the hallway as I tried to mop myself out of the kitchen. With any luck everyone would stay out of this room just long enough for it to dry.