○ Chapter 03 ○

This was it

This was it.

He was finally here.

I had gotten the call this morning.

Logan was going to dock at one pm sharp. I had to be there to get him. I had to call into work, telling them I would need a personal day. Sandra would know, and I could imagine her sitting at her desk now beaming from ear to ear.

Today was the day I finally got to take my husband home. My chest was caving in, clenching tighter with each passing minute. This was always the weirdest moment. To be without someone for nine months, and finally get to talk to them again. What if they changed? What if you changed? And if changes did happen how drastic were they and how hard would they be to merge into your normal way of living?

These things were important to work through and figure out, especially before he saw the kids. So as I look at my reflection in the mirror I fix a couple of curls making sure they all fall in a perfect mess around my face. Logan loved when I curled my hair, so I was hoping this would make the haircut look less drastic. It wasn't that much shorter but it was noticeable. My hair used to fall down my back in a mess of tangles, but now it just reached past my shoulders. The blonde meshing with my brunette roots.

I was blonde when we got married, so this time when he went away I thought it'd make me feel closer to him. It did for a while, but then after that it was just something I had to do to keep myself busy. Things like sweeping the kitchen twice a day just to waste a few more minutes, anything that would help pass the time.

The kids were at school, the house was empty, and the clock was daunting as it clicks in the silence reminding me that our time apart was coming to a close.

Only a few more hours.

Would Logan look different? Would he have a beard again or would he remember? I chuckled lightly to myself at the memory of the last time I picked him up. We met at the usual spot just outside the restaurant where we would get a nice lunch. When he got off the boat his face was covered in a mess of a blonde beard swallowing him up whole. If he hadn't been gone for so long I would have refused to kiss him. His arms wrapped around tightly and immediately in my heart I knew that beard was the one thing he was able to control when while he was underway.

So I stayed silent about it, but somehow he could tell something was off. Maybe it was the way I stared at him? Maybe it was the way our daughter looked confused when he bent over to hug her? Whatever it was that lit the spark inside him was it must have worked because a few hours later he was shaving it off.

I glanced at the clock, gauging if I should just leave now or wait until later. Traffic usually wasn't too bad around this time, and the city wasn't super crowded. But the more I sat here waiting the more I was going to lose my mind.

"Screw it!" I scoffed, grabbing my purse off the kitchen counter before taking one last look at myself in the mirror.

My makeup was light, just how my husband liked it, and I wore a soft shade of peach lipstick that was transfer proof, just like my husband liked. The curls were right and the top was flowy and comfortable so I wouldn't overheat with nerves. I think I'm ready to go.