○ Chapter 30 ○

"This is it

 "This is it." Logan mutters, grabbing his sea bag out of the trunk of the car. I nodded my head, trying my best to keep my tears at bay. Logan didn't like watching me blubber like a baby, especially when it was so hard for him to walk away. Because of this I did my best to wait until I was twenty feet down the road at least.

I'd finish dropping him off, rush home to get ready for the day, and then gather the kids and my mother and we would head to the bridge to watch his boat leave. This was our typical routine. Sometimes my mom would come and sometimes she wouldn't but it was always good to have that support there if I needed it. Who was I kidding? I always needed it.

"This is always the worst part." I sputtered, almost losing the tears for just a moment. I bit the inside of my cheek in a haste attempt to stop them.

"You mean the three months under the ocean is better than this?" Logan chuckled, trying his best, but his sleep-filled voice just couldn't give off the same humor. I shook my head.

"I will never know, I've never had to live in a tin can for three months." I closed the distance between us, wrapping my arms around him both because I didn't know when I would be able to again, and because it was freezing out here. Why couldn't they have drop-offs later in the day? It wasn't the time that bothered me as much as it was the darkness and the cool air.

"I love you, babe, please take care of the kids, and while you are doing that don't forget to take care of yourself as well." Logan kissed the top of my head, lingering longer than he would normally. I felt the sadness in the kiss. He was trying to soak in every last second possible. But it was so awkward when you had someone waiting less than twenty feet away to drive him down to the boat.

I wasn't allowed on the pier, my military access card didn't grant me that permission. This was the case for every other dependant as well so for those that chose to not leave their vehicles on base they had to be driven onto the base and dropped off at a meeting point so they could be driven down to the pier. Logan and I cared too much about our cars to just leave them on base for months at a time.

The duty van driver, as they called him, sat there watching as the families said their goodbyes, waiting for the sailors to finally load their bags so they could start their journey down to the pier. He'd be doing this for a few hours, driving back and forth to make sure everyone got there on time.

"I love you too, and I promise I will." There was a lump in my throat, my stomach felt numb. This was the moment we'd been waiting for. The one we didn't know we were waiting for but has been the center of everything for the last two weeks. A huge part of me was impressed that we were able to get everything taken care of in the last two weeks. At least everything we would have been able to in the first place. There was no way someone was getting a POA, especially not if the entire boat was also trying to get one at the same time. That was just something that you better hope doesn't expire before they get home. Without your service member, you weren't getting another one.