○ Chapter 15 ○

"Have either of you guys heard anything from your father about when he was going to be here?" I ask the twins, looking around the crowded gym for Logan

"Have either of you guys heard anything from your father about when he was going to be here?" I ask the twins, looking around the crowded gym for Logan. Both kids sat on their tablets for school, working on their homework.

The school was hosting yet another fundraiser, this one was an auction. Local businesses donated items to us to sell to the parents to help pay for some of the field trips for the school. Each parent had to volunteer for a job. I was stuck hosting the cookie table.

The packages of cookies stared at me, reminding me of Sandra's comments about them being gluten free and all that fun stuff. I looked around the gym to make sure no one was watching. Grabbing the package of cookies, I looked at the bottom of it, searching for that one specific warning label.

'Made containing dairy and egg products' the package said.

Phew! I wasn't going to have to explain to a hundred angry parents why there weren't key ingredients in their child's cookie.

"Momma, when is dad getting here? I want to show him this cool thing we did in science today." Mazie whines, barely lifting her eyes from the tablet in front of her. I hated that the school required them to use these things. They sucked the life out of the children.

"I don't know honey, he said he would be here around five, but it's almost six and it seems like he still isn't here." I checked the large clock in the gymnasium one more time to make sure I wasn't losing my mind. The event would be over in a little over a half hour.

Oh Logan, I hope you are on your way.

Another customer walks by my table. I give them the best cooking selling spill I can as they glance over all of the products. This was the worst table to host.

A loud voice booms over the school speaker system, announcing the time and telling everyone to get ready for the next auction item. This one was a spa package donated from a local business. I would be lying if I said I didn't want that one.

A few others scurried past the table, peeking for a moment, but deciding not to buy. They were heading to their seats to get ready to bid on the item.

"Is it time to go home yet?" It was Marcus this time who chose to whine. I shook my head cursing at Logan for not being here. He needed to make these things a priority. They were his children too! If Logan had been here then the kids could have gone home, they could have had dinner and a shower or bath, they could be in their pajamas playing a game. Doing something that was fun for them at least. But they were stuck here with me because I had no support from the man that was supposed to be in this fifty fifty with me.

The mock auctioneer starts cheering, drumming up a response for the spa package. It was in that moment that I decided to bid on it. Logan was about to get his separation pay, from being away from us for so long so there would be extra money in the budget. I deserved a little spa treatment after all I've been through in the last few months. The thought of a nice warm bath soothed my aches from the long work day ever so slightly. Just enough to remind me they were there in the first place.