○ Chapter 16 ○

"I can't believe he forgot!" I shout, as dramatically as I could in the nail salon without alerting too much attention

A startled jump leaves both Sandra and the woman doing her nails. Both of their eyes shot towards me to see what was wrong. Sandra leaned forward to apologize quietly to the lady and assess the damage. Luckily for me, there weren't any.

"I don't know how he could forget something like that. When I have something I have to do after work, I dread it the whole day while I'm at work. Obviously, we are two very different people." She was right though, they were completely different people. As much as I loved both of them, Logan was just more steady, more calming, and he wasn't as good of a hype girl when I was angry at something. Most of the time he'd look at me like I was insane and carry on about his things. That's what I needed Sandra for. When I had a problem, it became her problem.

"I mean, this isn't the first time this has happened. It's just whenever he gets home from deployment I have all these expectations and he never seems to meet them." I shook my head, looking at the lady doing my nail. She acted as if she couldn't hear us, but I knew for a fact as soon as we left they were going to be discussing us. A pit formed in my stomach and reminded me why I hated going to get my nails done. It felt like high school in a way, with the employees spreading rumors about us.

"So let me speak openly without getting smacked." Sandra paused. The nail lady looked up at her with a worried look on her face, before sitting back and dropping her hand back on the side of the massage chair. The tiny rollers dug into my back, relaxing me, even if it was just a little bit.

"What?" I wasn't sure where Sandra was going to take this. But usually, when she made a comment like that, it would be followed by some sort of hot take.

"Is the problem really with Logan?" Once again, she took a pause, biting her lip as if she was waiting for me to snap at her. I had nothing to say. What did she mean was Logan really the problem? He forgot to show up to his kids' event. They didn't care to be there either, but they still had to show up. He could have at least texted or called that he was home and I could have reminded him. I can't help him out if his phone is off and it goes straight to voicemail.

"I just mean, every time he comes back you are frustrated, but it's always a unique situation and if you take a step back, they are always small things in the grand scheme of things. Either you and Logan really aren't right for each other or, and hear me out on this, Logan isn't the problem."

"Are you saying I'm the problem, then?" I would be lying if I said this sentiment did not hurt me. I know I'm not perfect, but I don't think I'm causing all these situations to spiral as they have. Sure, it's me getting angry at first, but it's at the pure neglect of Logan to read the room or understand anything to do with the situation.

"No, I'm not saying you are the problem...well unless there's a lot you aren't telling me." The manicurist went back to working on Sandra's hands, sanding, buffing, and trimming her nails to perfection. Suddenly I felt very stiff in the seat. Using my available hand, I turned the massager off. As the whir of the motor disappeared, the room felt oddly quiet again. We were on our lunch break so there weren't very many people there. A few housewives were on the other end of the shop, but that was it. "All I'm saying is there is one common enemy between the two of you and that may be the problem. You are both fighting the enemy from different sides, and when you misfire it's on each other. You need to be standing on the same side."