○ Chapter 25 ○

Work today was more difficult than I had expected it to be

 Work today was more difficult than I had expected it to be. I had to break the news to my boss about the situation. Logan was leaving, and I needed to go north to help his brother out with his sick wife. The nerves walking into my boss's office still hung with me, even as I stared at the aisle of men's deodorant.

"I think this will be enough." Logan said, off in his own world. He held out one of the three pack options while still browsing the aisle for a better deal.

The buzzing of the white lights overhead, the whirring of the fridges on the other end of the store, shopping carts crashing into things, the squeaky wheels echoing their location. The whole world around me seemed to be an overwhelming blur.

Logan seemed so strong though. He couldn't be bothered by anything other than the deodorant choice in front of him.

"Do you think I should get this one that smells like metal or this one that smells like wood?" Logan asks, holding the two packs next to each other. I scrunched my nose at the thought of either of them. Why did men's deodorant have to smell like such weird things?

"I think the wood would be better than metal. You'll be on a submarine. You'll have plenty of metal to smell." I tried interjecting. He didn't seem to hear me, though.

"If I'm on the submarine and I use this one, I'll smell like everything else on the submarine, meaning I can blend in. If I use this one, I'll stand out and maybe something will actually smell good for once." He pondered his thoughts as if I hadn't just said something similar seconds ago. I teetered my weight from one foot to the other. We've been standing here for almost twenty minutes now and there were other things we needed to get from his list.

The kids were at my parent's house so we were good on that front. We told them we just needed to go grocery shopping and that we would pick them up on our way home. They were excited to go and spend the day with grandma after school. When I called her to talk about what we were hoping to do while Logan was away, she was more than thrilled to watch the kids. She asked us to pick up a few things for them from the store as well to make things easier on her. I was so grateful my mother was willing to help out. A month was a long time to watch your grandkids, and it wasn't her responsibility to take care of them, but the fact that she was so willing made me so happy.

I wouldn't be able to do any of this lifestyle without the support network I've built for myself.

My boss had cleared me to start working from home this upcoming week, and Sandra said she would keep an eye on my files and make sure I didn't fall too far behind. I was grateful to both of them as well. It was rare to find people in the civilian world that would support half as much as I've asked them to.

"What do you think?" Logan, still holding the two deodorant options, held them towards me. "Which one should I get? I need enough for just over three months, you know, just in case this deployment runs long." Great, he jinxed us now.