○ Chapter 02 ○

My heart broke at my daughter's face, the way her bright blue eyes looked up at me, begging me for an answer

My heart broke at my daughter's face, the way her bright blue eyes looked up at me, begging me for an answer. I knew the kids missed their father, they didn't quite understand what he was doing. All they knew was he was under the water. Surrounded by a large metal tube that they would commonly refer to as a subbie.

The kids didn't know what submarine Logan was on, and it was better that way. The less they knew and the less they had to worry about the better. But in this moment I wished I could tell them everything, could ease Maze's mind and tell her about all the things her dad would be doing.

But I didn't even know what her dad would be doing.

The more I thought about it, I wasn't even sure how to tell a six year old what was going on. Why her father had to leave every so often, and he was just gone for six or nine months at a time. When he came home he wasn't able to talk about it. How do you help them understand those feelings?

"Mom my sink is crying again!" A panicked cry rings through the air from the twins bathroom. I set down the washcloth I was using to clean up the dishes. An exhausted sigh escapes my lips as I bend over and grab my toolkit from underneath the kitchen sink.

When Logan gets home we will buy a house.

I have to keep reminding myself of better days.

We were doing fine, living in a small town just outside of his base. We had a nice enough apartment, mostly so we could save money for the home of our dreams. One on the hill overlooking the water, just like Logan wants, and Victorian style with a wraparound porch like I want. We weren't sure if we would have to build or buy, but we couldn't do anything until Logan was home.

The struggles of being a Navy Wife without power of attorney.

I lug the large toolkit into the kids bathroom quickly shutting both of the sink faucets off. Marcus would usually panic when this happens and leave the water running. I shook my head, getting down on my knees in the water soaked floor.

Just a few more days.

Placing the bag beside me, I reach for the adjustable wrench. It was already set to the correct size due to how often this has been happening. Placing it on the pipe I begin to go to work on tightening it.

Marcus watches carefully over my shoulder, cautious to fully expose himself. Mazie runs to grab towels out of the linen closet, and soon enough she was bringing me their 'Minions' beach towels.

"Mommy, why does it do that?" Marcus questions. He seems shy, and timid, he is noticeably scared. The sudden water leaking out the bottom of the cupboard will freak him out.

"Cause it's old, it needs a new seal, and well it's just cheap." I grit my teeth as I put as much force into the last turn. If Logan was here he would just fix it, or call the landlords--though they were never any help. But when he is gone, it's all about surviving.