○ Chapter 28 ○

"This is my favorite playground!" Marcus shouts, dragging his dad onto the soft turf beneath the monkey bars

"This is my favorite playground!" Marcus shouts, dragging his dad onto the soft turf beneath the monkey bars. The crisp cool air blew through Mazie and I's hair as we walked along the pathway. She wasn't as eager to get to the playground as Marcus had been. Maybe because she and I ate more pizza than the two boys did combined.

"If you need to sit for a moment before you go and play, that is fine sweetie. I'm going to be sitting on this bench over here." I pointed toward a bench near the edge of the park. The same one I normally sat on when we were here.

Mazie reached up and grabbed my hand, walking slowly beside me. Her eyes danced across the park looking to see If there was anyone fun to play with. Humming a sweet little tune as she walked. Mazie was stunning, and the sweetest little girl to ever walk this planet. Our talk last night just made me realize that even more.

How did I get so lucky to have such wonderful children?

"I think I'm going to go play." She muttered, letting go of my hand before running to meet her brother and father. They were playing some version of a pirate ship with the large plastic boat. I pulled my phone out to snap a few photos of the three of them on the playground. Logan did say he hated coming back and seeing all that he missed, so maybe I should try to do better at catching the moments he doesn't miss.

"Hey, you watch it over there!" Logan shouts, ducking beneath the blue plastic as he takes another handful of the air. He pretends to chuck it over the side of the boat, before rushing to the back.

"We are taking fire!" Marcus shouts, trying to keep his eye on Logan. "We must protect the princess at all costs."

Mazie sat on the edge of the seat, pretending to act afraid of the sea monster. My heart grew three sizes watching the kids interact with one another and play with their father.

They really did have the best relationship and Logan knew how to jump in and be a part of their click better than I did. I always felt like an outsider.

I finally took my seat on the bench so I could get a better view of the three of them. They seemed to fit together so well. I never felt like I could just shift into that play mode. Even at the pizza place, all they wanted was their dad. I knew they knew he was going to be leaving soon, but I would be too to go and help Peter and his family out. They didn't seem to think they were going to miss me as much as they would Logan.

Maybe it's because I've never had to leave them before?

Maybe they just didn't care about me like they did their dad?

I never seemed to be as good as their father. I couldn't blame them too much though, he was so much cooler than me in everything that he would do. Maybe they were just a better judge of character than I thought they were.

Logan continued to run around the outside of the boat, the kids laughing and stomping around on top of it. Before long, Marcus decided he was done playing that game and jumped to another portion of the playground. That was typical Marcus, getting bored after only a few minutes.